Chapter 23

Nicole's POV

"Come Nick! Hurry up!" Maddy yelled as she ran towards the pool in our condominium. "Hurry! Hurry!" I giggled as I walk towards her.

It was already the weekend and I promised my little princess how to swim after we watched a movie of Barbie in which she was a mermaid. I even bought her a swim suit that closely matched Barbie's.

"Take it easy my princess. The pool's not going anywhere."

"Maddy..." Em warned. "Nick's still hurt remember?" The little girl then suddenly behaved. "Are you sure you can do it? You can always postpone."

"Take it easy on her and I'm fine. Look... You made her sad." I explained. "I'm okay... Don't worry... I won't let anything happen to her. I'll teach her at the children's pool." I assured her.

"You're spoiling her too much."

"Oh yes I am..." Then I decided to tease her but held back. I liked to tease her about our future babies but then again, Maddy's her child and the topic of conceiving might be sensitive. "You can probably lay on those cabanas while I teach Maddy."

I saw Maddy sitting on the tiles of the children's pool. She was playing with the water using her feet. "Hey there little mermaid! Are you ready to learn?"

"Yes!"

"Let's get started then."

The children's pool was about more than two feet high. It was enough to reach around Maddy's neck. She won't drown unless something really bad happen.

"Okay Maddy... Come let's test the water. Is it too cold?" She shook her head.

"Now the first thing I'm going to teach you was to float."

"Okay!"

Emilia's POV

I watched in amusement as Madeleine and Nick played in the pool. She was supposed to be teaching her how to swim but as I can see, they were just goofing off most of the time.

It was such a great view. Seeing them having fun made me realized one thing, I'm glad I opened myself up to Nick. She was far from her reputation. My view regarding rich people also changed. They weren't as bad as I though they were. Some have good hearts like Nicole and Natalie.

John was a good person too, but lately, he's been changing. He's been aloof and being alone with him scared me. I felt bad on rejecting him but we were just not meant to be. I only liked him as friend or even as a brother.

"Ehem..." My deep thoughts was interrupted by a unwelcome person. "The receptionist told me that I could find you all here. She let me in since this is a common area."

"Mrs. Smith..." I greeted at the old and strict lady in front of me. I never thought that I'll be seeing her this soon. "I can't say that it was nice to meet you since every time I see you, I fear about Maddy."

"Fair enough." She fixed her glasses and then took a seat beside me. "Look Ms. Brennan. I apologize if I scared you but I'm just looking out for the kids. It was more than a job for me. It was a passion." She explained in a deep but flat voice. "I myself was a victim of an irresponsible family. I had a little sister too and she died because I failed to protect her from our abusive father."

"I understand. But please be assure that I love Maddy with all my heart and I won't let anything happen to her." I stated back.

"From this angle, they looked like father and child. You're very lucky to have her in your life."

"Yes. Nick's a great person. She's kind, caring, gentle and sweet. Madeleine and I were very luck to have her." I honestly stated.

"I think I have seen enough so I'll let you off the hook but I'll be back." With that, she stood up and walked away.

Nicole's POV

After around two hours of playing and learning how to swim, the little bundle of joy was still full of energy while I'm started to get exhausted. My body has not fully recovered from the beatings.

"Do you think you can handle the pool? I'll just take a little rest."

"Yes!" But before I went out of the pool, I made sure to put the floaters on her arms for safety.

Emilia was as always buried deep in her book. I wonder what she's reading right now. "The water's great! You should join us."

"Where's Maddy?" She inquired and I pointed at the children's pool. "Don't worry, she have a floater and we're just close by. Why don't you put your book down and take a swim."

"No it's okay... I'm good."

"Oh come on Em, it was such a nice weather and the water's great. Or don't tell me you're afraid of the little water coz you can't swim?" I challenge.

"I'm a good swimmer." She defended.

"Then? What's the problem?"

"I'm not properly dressed." She replied but I knew there was more to it than she was telling me.

Then, without notice, I threw her book away and carried her towards the adult pool. "What are you doing? Put me down!" She squealed and her voice was so addicting. It was precious.

"Okay then... As you wished."

"Kyah!" She yelled as I threw her in the pool. It was just more than four feet so I knew she won't drown. "You're crazy!" She yelled as soon as she rises.

"Sorry..." I held a hand in order to help her out. She took it but then she suddenly had this evil grin. "Oh ohhhh..." And as expected, she pulled me into the water.

"Payback!"

"Oh really?" She ran away from me but with a few strokes, I managed to capture her and began tickling her.

"Let me go... hahaha... Stop it!"

"Say you're sorry..."

"I'm sorry! Please stop tickling!" She begged and I obeyed.

When our laughter subsided and we managed to catch our breath, I turned her around and snaked my hands in her waist while she looped her in my neck.

We both stared at each other's eyes as if we where looking deep in our souls. My stare lingered at her nose, then her lips. "Em..."

"Hmmm..." She hummed, still staring at me.

"May I kiss you?" She nodded and that was all I need to finally lean forward to capture her lips.

She met me half way and when we were just millimeters away, a sudden splash interrupted our moment.

It was Maddy, who bravely jumped to the pool. She swam towards us with the help of her floaters. "Nick! Em! Let's play!"

I really love that kid but at this moment, I'll probably prefer if she's asleep.

Way to ruin the moment kid.