3

Your POV

"Sorry about your shirt," I told the girl sitting next to me to break the silence.

We were sitting in the ER alone because Shawn had gone off the get something to drink. I had already taken X-rays and been evaluated.

When they asked what happened I told them I was hiking with friends and fell down a hill.

"It's fine," she smiled. "Why didn't you tell the doctor what really happened?"

"I don't want to make any more trouble for myself," I mumbled.

"What-"

"I got some water and snacks," Shawn interrupted as he walked in.

"Thank you," I said as he handed me a bottle of water.

"Did the doctor come back with the results yet?" He asked, and as if on cue the doctor walked in.

"Hello, again," he greeted as he sat on the edge of the hospital bed.

"Hi."

"So, your arm is fractured. The good news is it's minor, so you won't need surgery," he said, making my heart drop.

"That's good news?" I asked, sitting up and wincing.

"Hey," the girl next to me said, sitting me back and keeping a hand in mine. "At least you don't need surgery."

I saw Shawn eyeing us from across the room, but I chose to ignore it.

"I'll be back with a nurse in a little bit to put a cast on your arm," the man said with a sad smile.

He walked out, leaving his clipboard. The girl next to me then got up and picked it up.

"Y/ln, Y/n," she read out loud, making me look up quickly. "That's your name? Y/n?"

"Uh... yea," I confirmed.

"That's a pretty name. I'm Camila and that's Shawn," she introduced them.

"Nice to meet you guys," I said, playing with the edge of the rag the nurse had given me to wipe my face.

It seemed like Camila was about to say something else when the doctor and a nurse walked back in with supplies.

I flinched when the placed everything down, feeling Camila come to my side.

"It's alright. They're just gonna cast your arm," she whispered to me.

I flinched again when the nurse tried to grab my arm.

"Hey, she's just trying to help," Camila told me softly, holding onto my good hand.

I allowed the nurse to clean off my arm. The pain was minimal because of the pain medicine they had given me earlier.

Camila continued to hold my hand the entire time, and once again I ignored the way Shawn was eyeing us.

I squeezed Camila's hand anytime pain shot up my arm, which was often. Before I knew it I had a bright white cast on my arm. It wasn't heavy and was pretty thin. Maybe it actually was good news that it was only a minor fracture.

"See, that wasn't so bad. Was it?" Camila asked when it was done.

"Uh... no," I said, letting go of her hand.

"Shawn, stay here with her for a minute while I do something," Camila said before walking out.

"So, Y/n," Shawn started. "Where are you from?"

"Here," I answered shortly, picking at the cast on my arm.

"How old are you?" He asked in an attempt to save the conversation.

"Twenty," I answered, still not looking up at him.

"Ah, cool," he said, and I almost felt bad about running the conversation into the ground.

Then he asked another question.

"So, are we bringing you home after this?"

I just looked at him after that question, because I didn't quite know the answer.

I lived with Lonnie. I hadn't thought about the fact that I was now homeless.

"Umm-"

"You guys ready to go?" Camila interrupted as she walked back into the room.

"You guys can go," I said. "Thank you for bringing me here."

Camila gave me a weird look.

"Nonsense," she waved me off. "We can bring you home."

"No, that's alright. I should take care off the bill anyways," I gave an excuse.

"It's already taken care of," she said. "Come on."

Camila wrapped an arm around mine and began to lead me out of the room.

"Wait. Taken care of? You paid for it?" I asked her as she dragged me out of the hospital.

"Don't worry about it," she waved me off.

I was going to worry about it. Where I'm from nothing is done out of kindness and everyone expects to be paid back with interest.

"How much do I owe you?" I asked, making her stop in her tracks.

Shawn continued to walk when she gave him a nod.

"Look, you don't owe me anything. Consider it my good deed of the day," she shrugged. "Now, are you going to let us take you home?"

I didn't answer and Camila's eyes started scanning my face.

"I- uh... you don't have to," I stuttered.

"Where do you live?"

"I live uh... down the road. It's not far. I can walk," I said, beginning to back away.

I didn't get far before she grabbed my hand.

"You're lying."

"What?" I asked.

"Do you have a place to stay?" She asked. "Don't lie. I'll be able to tell if you lie."

"I'll figure it out," I said, not wanting her to feel like she had to help me.

I looked behind her when I saw Shawn pulling up in his car.

"Get in," she said.

"No, I told you it's okay-"

"I wasn't asking you. I'm telling you to get in the car," she said.

I stared into her eyes, trying to get her to break. The fire in her eyes told me to listen.

"Okay."

"Where to?" Shawn asked when we were both in the car.

"The hotel," Camila said, both of us ignoring the confused look on his face as he pulled out of the parking lot.