8

Your POV

"You don't use the studio at your house?" I asked as Camila led me towards a large building.

"I do," she told me. "This studio has a lot more equipment than mine, so I've been here a lot recently. I'm trying anything I can to get some inspiration."

"That's why I'm here, right?" I asked.

"Not necessarily," she told me as I opened the door for here. "You're here because we're friends now. The fact that you can help me is just a bonus."

I took in her words for a second before realizing she had continued to walk. I caught up to her right before the elevator she was in closed.

"I was wondering how long you would stand there," she teased, making me roll my eyes.

"Are there any other artists here?" I asked as the elevator began moving.

"There are always artists here. I don't know who is here right now," she explained as the doors opened on the third floor.

I nodded and followed her to a door. She pulled out a key and unlocked it before opening the door.

I looked around when we walked in. She was right. This studio did look a lot more high tech than hers.

"Cool, right?" She asked as I ran my hand over the keys of a piano.

"Yea," I agreed. "What's first?"

"Already jumping into things?" She asked.

"Is sitting around going to cure your writers block?" I asked back, watching her eyebrows rise.

"Nope. Let's get started," she told me, pulling out a notebook that looked pretty worn.

"So, I have this one song..."

~

"Can I try something?" I asked.

Camila and I had been playing around with a guitar for about an hour trying to get a rhythm for a song that she had. The song wasn't even finished, but I was hoping that starting on instrumentals for it would spark some inspiration in her.

"Anything," she told me, desperate for something to actually work.

I got up and grabbed her notebook, feeling her eyes on me as I walked across the room and sat down at the piano.

I read the lyrics she had written over and over in my head as my fingers rested over the keys. I tapped a few keys, having to lift my arm in a pretty awkward position to play with the cast. I listened to the sounds fill the air as I repeated the lyrics to myself.

"Dirty tissues, trust issues," I sang lightly as my fingers seemed to move on their own.

I created a little melody, going back and forth from higher and lower notes.

"Glasses on the sink, they didn't fix you. Lonely pillows in a strangers bed. Little voices in my head."

I stopped hitting keys, going back to the beginning and repeating everything I had just done to make sure I hadn't forgotten it already.

This time I heard Camila join in when I got to the part I stopped at before.

"Secret keeping, stop the bleeding. Lost a little weight because I wasn't eating. All the songs that I can't listen to, to tell the truth," she sang lightly.

I slowed down the instrumentals as I started them over when she got the the chorus.

"Loving you was young, and wild, and free. Loving you was cool, and hot, and sweet. Loving you was sunshine, safe and sound, a steady place to let down my defenses, but loving you had consequences."

I sped back up as she went into the second verse.

"Hesitation, awkward conversation, running on low expectation. Every siren that I was ignoring, I'm payin' for it."

She sang the chorus again as I continued to play.

"Loving you was young, and wild, and free. Loving you was cool, and hot, and sweet. Loving you was sunshine, safe and sound, a steady place to let down my defenses, but loving you had consequences."

I looked over at her briefly as we had now finished all of the written lyrics, seeing she had her eyes closed. I didn't quite know what to do, letting my fingers play the notes a little more choppy as she started to improvise a bridge.

"No, ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh. Said, ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh. Hey, no ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh."

I slowed down again as she continued to sing straight from her heart.

"Loving you was dumb, dark and cheap. Loving you will still take shots at me. Found loving you was sunshine, but then it poured and I lost so much more than my senses. 'Cause loving you had consequences."

I stopped playing the piano, looking up at her slowly to see a single tear fall down her cheek. I quickly grew concerned, furrowing my eyebrows when a smile slowly grew on her face.

"Cam?" I said, watching her eyes open.

"You did it," she said, pulling me into a big hug.

"I did what? Made you cry?" I asked as she pulled back and quickly grabbed her notebook, scribbling the lyrics down quickly before she could forget them.

"No," she laughed as she turned back to me. "You helped me finish the song."

"And I made you cry?" I asked again.

She laughed as she wiped her face.

"They're happy tears," she told me, which made me feel a lot better.

"Oh," I said as she sat down next to me on the piano bench.

"Thank you," she told me as she leaned over and kissed my cheek gently. "You're so talented."

"It was really nothing. A ten year old could play that melody," I said, blushing at the compliment and the fact that she had just kissed my cheek.

I literally ran drugs for a living and I was blushing because some girl kissed my cheek.

What is wrong with me?

"A ten year old might be able to play that melody, but I don't think a ten year old could create it," she said, turning my head to face her. "Especially not create it on the spot like you just did. Not to mention that you're playing with a broken arm."

"It's nothing," I brushed off her compliments again.

"If that's nothing, then I want to see what you can come up with when you're trying," she said as she rested her head on my shoulder and sat her notebook on her lap.

"Play it again," she told me, and I did.

Camila and I sat there for hours writing and touching up the song until she deemed it perfect, and I did everything she told me to do because I was already whipped for the girl.

I was in way too deep.