CHAPTER 1

Alex

Shit. I knew I was miles from where I was supposed to be. This definitely was not Portland Oregon. Instead of tall buildings, I was surrounded by dense tree lines. I drove up to a small parking lot that seemed to have a gas station and a three story hotel.

Stepping out of my charcoal Subaru Legacy, I locked my car and grabbed my clutch as I looked around. It was already 10pm. I should have been at Emily's apartment by now. I checked my dead phone but it wasn't taking a charge from my car charger.

I walked inside the hotel toward the front desk. A small group of people seemed to be chatting with the front desk. They all were very attractive making me feel a little apprehensive about interrupting them to ask for a room.

I stood by the door. I could pretend to text Emily but reminded myself it was still dead.

Emily has been my best friend since middle school. We used to live together with our friend Daniella in Santa Monica until she decided she wanted to go to sschool in Portland.

That's when she met her husband to be and wanted to introduce us to him.

Unfortunately, Daniella couldn't make it. She came down with a nasty cold. Henry, one of our friends, said he would stay with her to make sure she was okay.

Must say, we were all overly excited for Emily. Anyone that could date Emily for more than a few months was a keeper. Not that she was a bad person, she is very kind and very sociable. Her life consisted of fluttering from one group outing to the next. I was some what envious of her busy and exciting life style.

I had realized I had gone into a daze when I looked up and saw that the beautiful people were still talking to the front desk. The couple guys in the group seemed to be flirting with the girl in uniform. Much to the distaste of the couple of girls with them.

I was too exhausted to wait any longer. As I made my way to the desk, one of the guys turned toward me almost making me stop dead in my tracks. He was mouth watering gorgeous. He had these alluring hazel eyes and long light brown hair that almost dusted his shoulders. His gaze held mine as his brows rose into surprise onto his handsome face. I broke our gaze and walked up to the front desk getting the girl's attention. Her eyes were wide as she stared at me making me feel even more out of place. I cleared my throat hoping to shed some of my nerves.

I could feel the group's heated gaze on me. Especially the really cute one. "Sorry to interrupt...I was wondering if there was a room available?"

My voice had stared out strong but faded slightly at the end. The girl turned her gaze to the handsome man next to me then back to me.

He leaned against the desk as he faced me. I looked up at him wondering if I should stay and introduce myself to the adonis before me or run back to my car.

He smiled almost in disbelief showing his pearly white teeth. I melted.

"You're not from around here." He said warmly. His voice was like silk. So smooth.

"No, I was trying to get to Portland...but..." I trailed off embarrassed. I shouldn't of said that. Now I look like an idiot.

"You're far from Portland." One girl snickered. She had dark brown hair and brown eyes. She was very pretty. She reminded me of Emily. Like a model. She pressed herself into his side as if possessively.