The Voices in the Dark

It was another lazy day. Just a nineteen year old watching television while stuffing her face full of junk food.

      I was dressed in a baggy gray sweatshirt and loose black shorts, shifting positions on my couch to get comfortable.

     I just wanted to get something done, you know, be productive! I really didn't want to move from the couch, though.

   Just before I died of boredom, my friend Elizabeth called me. I immediately picked up my phone and answered it.

"Hey girl!" I cheerfully said.

"What's up, Leilah?"

"Nothing much, just stuffing my face full of sweets."

A soft chuckle came from the other side of the line. "Now that's what I aspire to do! What are you doing today?"

"Waiting for some sort of idea to pop into my cobwebbed mind. Why?"

"Well, I was thinking we should go out to get some ice cream at Carla's Ice Cream Parlor." Elizabeth suggested.

"Sure, I would love to go!" It gave me an excuse to get out of the house, at least. "I'll meet you there in a few!"

"Alrighty, see you there!" Elizabeth chirped.

I ended the call and changed into clothes that I could be seen in. I grabbed my house keys, threw my hair into a messy bun and headed out the door.

The walk to the local ice cream shop didn't take long. As I arrived, I saw Elizabeth walk up along the other side of the store. She was a petite girl with straight, blonde hair.

"What's up, Elizabeth?"

"The sky, of course." I replied jokingly.

"Haha! Very funny. How about we get our ice cream, and then we can chat." I nodded.

We stepped into Carla's Ice Cream Parlor and ordered our favorite flavors.

We sat down at a colorful table by the shop windows and chatted about our lives - the good days and the bad ones. Suddenly, I heard a masculine voice.

"It's all in your head." I saw a flash of green in the corner of the shop when I heard this voice.

I whip my head towards the blur of movement and then slowly turn back to Elizabeth.

"Are you okay, Leilah?" Elizabeth concern etched onto her features.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

I shook my head to reassure myself that I hadn't see anything. My friend and I finished our conversation and went our separate ways.

  While I walked towards my apartment; I felt someone's eyes burning into the back of my head. I ignored the feeling as I arrived back home. Just as a precaution, I locked all of my windows and doors. Once the feeling of being watched subsided slightly, I relaxed, flopping onto the couch.

"What a day!" I exclaimed.

"What a day indeed."