Chapter Twenty-One.

My sleep wasn't interrupted much that night. I slept quietly. When it was time to get up for school the next morning, I listened to Reese. He didn't push me to tell him what happened to me yesterday and I was thankful for that. But, I could tell he was busting to know what put me in such a bad mood.

When we got to school, my mood showed. I had one backpack strap on my shoulder and my hair was pulled up in a ponytail. I was in no mood to do anything - include look attractive.

I saw Lilly making her way down the hallways talking to a girl that was in our math class. She had her hands waving everywhere as she talked animatedly. I sighed and turned down another hall. Lilly followed me down that hall, not surprising me one bit that she had her best friend mode turned on.

"Hey! Eldridge!" I stopped and turned to look at her with a dead look in my eyes.

Her eyebrows knitted together when she got to me. I slowly turned on my heel as she looped our arms together. My arm hung limply as we walked.

"Where were you yesterday?" She asked me quietly. I could've done the same thing with her that I did with Reese, but, I felt like I needed to tell Lilly.

"I went somewhere with Hunter." I told her emotionlessly. Her arm tightened around mine and she suddenly pulled me towards the bathroom. Lilly was the type of friend to tell people how it is with no sugar-coating things. When we got into the bathroom, a freshman girl was washing her hands and another girl was doing her makeup.

"Okay! Everyone out!" She pointed towards the exit and the two girls rushed out of the room. I watched them leave swiftly.

"Long story." She held a hand up to stop me from asking how she had so much power over them when she saw my facial expression.

"What do you want me to tell you?" I asked her. You'd think me telling her that I was with Hunter would be enough. But no, my best friend must know everything. And I don't love her any less for it.

"Did you guys...?" She quirked an eyebrow at me.

"Did we what?" I asked, genuinely confused.

"Did you guys go somewhere and have...?" My cheeks automatically started to flame with heat. I smacked her arm and she rubbed the spot.

"No! Why would you think that?!" I squealed at her. Why must the embarrassing moments always happen to me?

"I just thought that maybe he like ditched you or something afterwards. I don't know.." She scratched the back of her neck awkwardly. "And, you kind of look horrible today, honey." Lilly pushed a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"Gee, thanks." I told her jokingly. She smiled at me and pulled out her makeup bag. She walked over to the sink and patted the counter. I hopped up on it and let her put a very thin layer of makeup on.

"Now, tell me what happened." She said.

So, I told her everything that happened. From Hunter's mom being obnoxious to the fight we had to him making me walk home. I left out the parts about Cindy only talking about Hunter's dad and I also never mentioned that I still liked the boy. He was a jerk to me, but I still liked him. Typical, isn't it? The girl always falls for the jerk it seems.

No one else understands, though, that Hunter isn't a jerk. He's just confused and doesn't know how to handle the situations he's put in.

"I'm sorry." Lilly said and gave me a quick hug.

"It's not your apology I want." I told her sadly. She nodded in understanding and we walked out of the bathroom together. I didn't look like a hobo now, which was a good thing. Lilly walked the other way towards her classes and I went my way. I remembered I had to make a stop at my locker before going to class to get my books.