Chapter Five

On the morning of their second day in Minnesota, Meredith had a plan. She wanted to lie in bed all day, which she did half of yesterday. The other half was filled with more adult things. However, she actually wanted to get something done today. Three weeks-- just 21 days-- wasn't that long of a time at home when someone had been gone for so long. Meredith needed to make the most of it.

Harry had spent another night in her bed, which her father was aware of but said nothing about. In the morning, Meredith pushed him awake after she had already gotten through her morning routine. "Breakfast is on me," she said when he finally opened his eyes.

"Is cereal?" he asked groggily, knowing that her cooking skills are slim.

"You'll be surprised." Meredith messed with his already ridiculous bedhead and went downstairs.

When Harry got downstairs, Meredith had made him more than cereal. In comparison to her usual, she had put out quite the spread, putting out juice, peanut butter, jam and jelly. Meredith, herself, took out the milk because she loved drinking it and missed the taste. Harry never understood that. Overall, he was surprised. A grin crossed his face when Meredith set down a plate of waffles.

He smirked. "Eggos, really?"

"You know you like them." Meredith slid into the seat opposite of him. "And my dad bought them specifically for me." She grabbed a couple off the plate and started spreading them in peanut butter and strawberry jam. After a second, she said, "Shit, I forgot the syrup."

Before she was able to get up, Harry said, "I'll get it. Where is it?"

Meredith pointed, and Harry grabbed it.

"Are you going to put that on there?" he questioned as she took it from his hand.

"Not usually," she said as she squeezed the syrup on. "I definitely think it's pregnancy because this is gross. I don't let food touch. I'm super picky. But right now, I want to shove it in my mouth, and this is the only thing I want to eat." Meredith paused. "I want to put ice cream on it now."

Harry chuckled. "No chicken with your waffles."

"This isn't the south."

"Does the south actually do that?"

Meredith shrugged; she had never been there.

"How about this," Harry started, "we get ice cream this afternoon? You can choose where. I know you miss Dairy Queen, but I am sure there are better places."

She scoffed and then pursed her lips, an idea dawning in her mind. Harry sat back, not sure how he liked hat look. "I can choose anywhere," she said, "and I choose a certain place where the ice cream is okay but the place is what matters-- and the sport."

Later, after it took some convincing from Meredith, they arrived at Target Field. Meredith, who played softball growing up, loved baseball, and since Target Field opened after the Metrodome closed, she had gone there every summer on multiple occasions, all to watch her hometown-- or home state-- team: the Minnesota Twins. She had even taken Harry here before, but that didn't make Harry feel any easier about the situation.

Like the dog part, both of them wore almost disguises. Harry was back in his Minnesota Twins baseball cap-- how fitting for the day-- with a matching jersey. Since it was her father's, it was large on him, but he had a choice of players. He wore thick and dark sunglasses, and Meredith offered to complete his look with a fake beard and mustache because she made him shave it off a while ago. It was starting to grow back now. For his sake, Meredith wore a Twins hat with her blonde hair pulled back into a pony. She also wore sunglasses but that was because it was a very sunny day.