Chapter Fourteen

After yesterday's long day, Meredith had fallen asleep when it was fully dark and had awoken when it was mid-morning. Harry was still soundlessly asleep beside her. He laid flat without a pillow, arms curled under himself. Meredith blinked, watching him for a second. He probably lost all feeling in his arms by now, which was going to be tough when he woke up The covers were all over her, which left him exposed. He usually slept without a shirt, and she enjoyed the look of the curves of his back. It was only a thin sheet of green that tried to block out the sunlight, but even now, she knew it was bright outside. A smile spread across her face.

Tiptoeing out of the room, she found that her father was already fishing. Looking through the kitchen window, she saw him down on the dock, pole in his hands. He wore a hat, and his jacket was discarded beside him. He probably had been up since the crack of dawn. Loons floated on the lake. They were not trusting birds, so her father had been out there long that they were used to his presence. Meredith didn't go down to disturb them.

In the kitchen, Meredith tried to make no sound, but that wasn't her natural ability. She decided to go for something simple. Unsure of when he was going to wake up, she also made something that easily went back into the fridge. She whipped up some yogurt and toast, taking a seat on the porch that faced the lake.

The calm waves lapped against the rocky edge. The loons called to each other. For it being mid-morning, there wasn't a lot of sound. Already, it was warming up, and Meredith eyed the pool. She didn't mind swimming in the lake, but she wanted to start at the pool. Swimming was swimming after all. Old trees added some coverage to the bright day. This early in the summer, when it had yet to heat up-- and wasn't even technically summer yet-- there weren't a lot of people around. When the heat really came in July and August, it was hard to get away from all the people that flocked "up north."

With her legs curled up under her and mind focused elsewhere, she didn't even hear Harry come out of the cabin. He was shaking out his arms, trying to get the feeling back. Meredith laughed.

"This is torturous," he said, thumping down beside her. His face still held a smile. "Why didn't you roll me over?"

"And risk waking you up? I don't think so."

Harry's stomach rumbled.

"I made some yogurt and fruit. It's in the fridge if you want it."

He shook out his hands again, pouting slightly.

"Do I need to feed you?" she asked. "Is this practice for when we have the child?" Meredith ate the toast.

Harry had no response to that. "What's the plan for the day?"

"Did you bring any books?" Meredith wondered. "I'm thinking pool day: swimming, reading, napping." One of those things was more directed at Harry. She had made him bring some books, knowing that he probably wasn't read them. He just didn't have a lot of interest in it. Maybe, if he was feeling it, then he was going to read.

"I'll need help with the sunscreen," he said defeatedly.

"Because your arms are numb?"

"Because I'm pale and I can't reach everywhere."

After breakfast was done and Meredith had run down to give her father some water and more sunscreen, it was pool time. Harry brought down some waters, a book and towel. Meredith had already set up shop with her own towel, sunscreen on and sitting on the table to be applied to Harry, shoes off and goggles ready to be used. She had two books stacked up beside her while one rested on her lap, halfway through. The number of books that Harry did not read was made up by Meredith's impeccable reading skills. She had brought ten books with her to the cabin, and Harry guessed that she was going to get to them all.