Chapter Eight

Meredith was passed out on the bed. He had managed to get her back up to the hotel room, and then she flopped down on the bed and went back to sleep. He took off her shoes and laid them on the ground beside her. Since then, which she had been snoring loudly for the past three hours, Harry had been reading some of the books she had along. Meredith always brought several books in case she either finished the book and loved it or hated the book and quit it. There was really no in between. Harry wasn't much of a reader, and with the sun shining, it was hard not to be outside.

As usual, Meredith had brought a poetry book along, and Harry flipped through that, trying to find some poems that he was able to later impress his wife with. He still remembered the romantic poem that really won Meredith over. He tried to think of the last time he recited it to her; maybe it was time to pull it out again... or wait until she got angry with him and then pull it.

Harry tried to read-- he really did-- but in the end, his own eyelids drooped, and his head was heavy. Slipping off his shoes, he climbed into bed beside his wife, and Meredith rolled over and welcomed in, laying her sleeping head on his chest. Harry wrapped his own arms around him.

Eventually, by mid-afternoon, Meredith started to stir. Her stomach growled with hunger, and she had to pee so badly. Still, her body felt tired, and it was so hard to remove herself from Harry's warm body. When she wasn't able to take it anymore,  she finally got out of bed and went to the bathroom.

When she came out, she was craving something different than she was able to find with all the snacks in the room. With Harry sleeping peacefully, she was quiet as she ate what they did have. It didn't fulfill the craving, but it fended off the constant hunger for now. Sitting down in the chair that Harry had been in, she cracked open a book. She made it five pages in before closing the book, finding that it wasn't for her.

"I didn't like that one either," Harry croaked from the bed.

Meredith startled. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up." It was probably her snacking.

"Don't worry. It's probably time to get up anyway." Harry hung his feet off the bed and sat up. His joints cracked when he stretched. His own stomach growled.

"What do you want?" Meredith held up several snack bags that she had open.

Harry pointed, and she tossed it to him. Once again, it wasn't the best food, but it was good. His stomach had been a little upset after the early morning pie-shake, but now, that had subsided. He didn't want to get it upset again, but he had hunger gnawing at him. Both of them were still tired, probably still recovering from their world tour and lack of sleep.  Harry finished up the bag of chips and sighed. "Now what?"

"I don't know," Meredith yawned and stretched. She wanted a lazy day, and she got it. She was so close to Lake Superior, but Harry probably wasn't going to allow her to go swimming, only due to the fact of how cold it was. Meredith was used to the chill. She had to meet him halfway with that one. "Though, we should probably do something." She stood up and held out her hand, and Harry took it.

They changed and got ready, unsure of where they were going. It seemed normal to a lot of people, getting ready to get ready without an idea of what was coming next. For the past five months, their lives had been planned out, minute by minute. It was this event and this outfit change, and this was going to happen. They had so much freedom, and it was hard to now know what to do with it. There were things to do in Superior and Duluth, but Meredith had spent almost four years here; she had done it all.

Either way, she didn't want to hit up the tourist traps. She knew what was good here and what wasn't. This was almost like a hometown to her. It was good to visit, say hello to the old friends, but soon, it was good to go home. Some part of her missed it, and some part of her was missing London too.