Chapter 3

"Surprise." He said, grinning nervously.

"You're...you're-"

"Dead? Yeah, about that..."

"What's going on?" Sam questioned, getting up from the bed. His look of curiosity quickly hardened into an angry expression once he saw Dean.

"Who are you?!" He yelled, lunging at Dean, who quickly stepped out of the way. Sam attempted to attack him again so I tried to push him back.

"Sam! Stop! It's him!" I yelled.

He wasn't even listening. "What are you?! Are you a shapeshifter?! A demon?!"

Dean just held his hands up in defence. "Woah Sammy, stop! It's me. I swear."

Sam just paused for a moment before finally speaking. "Prove it."

"What?"

"Come on. Touch silver. Drink holy water," Sam said, handing him a knife and a bottle of holy water.

"Fine." He put the knife to his arm and it glided across his skin, creating a river of blood in its path. Next, he picked up the bottle and let some of the holy water trickle over his face. Both things had no effect, but I still couldn't tell if Sam was convinced. All of a sudden, he stepped forward and pulled Dean into a tight hug. When they finally parted, Sam still looked suspicious and confused. "How?"

Dean just laughed. "Well that's what I was gonna ask you."

"I didn't do anything."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I tried everything but I wasn't getting anywhere so I just decided to accept it, ya know?"

Dean appeared to be slightly hurt by this. "Wait, so you just gave up?"

"There was nothing I could do, I'm sorry."

There was a short silence before Dean finally spoke up. "Okay, it's fine. Let's just find out who really brought me back."

***

I sat and watched from across the room as Dean flicked through his father's journal. I couldn't help but think about how I betrayed him. I kissed his brother just minutes before he came back from Hell. I was a terrible person.

I was dragged away from my thoughts when I felt a hand land on my shoulder. "Hey. You okay?"

I looked up and Dean was standing in front of me, a gentle smile on his face.

"Uh yeah. I was...I was just thinking."

"About what?" He questioned as he sat down in the chair beside me.

"I'm sorry Dean," I suddenly said. The guilt over what I did was slowly growing inside me. But for some reason, I didn't regret kissing Sam. Instead, I just felt guilty because I was lying to Dean about it. He'd just gotten back from Hell. I couldn't put him through anything else.

He carefully placed his hand over mine, squeezing slightly. "Why are you sorry?"

"I-I can't do this," I breathed out, quickly slipping my hand away and escaping to the bathroom. It was so strange having Dean back. I'd finally managed to move on with my life. After four months, you'd think we'd still have a connection, a spark. But it just wasn't the same. I no longer craved his touch, his affection. But he obviously felt differently. It was clear that he believed we could just go on as normal, despite the past events.

I heard Dean's voice through the door. "Zara? You okay?"

I opened the door and slowly approached him. "Dean...we need to talk."