Waking Up

Gaia hadn't moved a muscle. Bash quickly prepped the syringe of iron and injected it into her arm.

"Ouch!" She flinched.

"That hurts?" Bash laughed. "What does it feel like when I bite you?"

"That hurts too, but that hurts good. That stupid shot hurts not-so-good." Gaia smiled; her eyes half-opened.

"Fair enough," Bash chuckled his reply.

He fed her the cookies and grapes, giving her sips of orange juice in between. After about thirty minutes, Gaia began to perk up. Her cheeks looked rosier and her heartbeat was stronger.

Bash set aside the dirty dishes and laid next to Gaia, cradling her in his arms. Yes, he would miss this probably more than anything, if he were being honest with himself.

"You seem warm tonight," Gaia commented.

"That's because I fed better than I normally do with you. It's your blood flowing through me that's making me warm."

"I like that it does that. It's like I'm a part of you now." Gaia drew lazy circles on Bash's muscled chest with her finger.

"You are a part of me, Gaia. You give me life." Bash took hold of her hand and brought it to his lips.

Gaia's heart seemed to explode in her chest. Why can't he be real?

"Tell me, how was your day?" he asked.

Bash found he loved hearing about the mundane details of Gaia's life in the sun. They reminded him of his own life before the one who would become his maker cursed him to walk the night for all eternity.

"It sucked! My boss at the café is still a total dick and my contemporary art project got an A-minus. Plus, the customers were extra bitchy today," she rambled.

"Wait. An A-minus is fantastic!"

Bash had taken some night classes to familiarize himself with more modern knowledge. Plus, it was a great hunting ground. He knew enough about the current grading system in place to believe Gaia was being adorably silly, fussing about an A-minus.

"Yeah, but I deserved an A-plus. The professor is getting flak from some rich kid's parents and he's caved. Some donor's daughter got my A-plus." Gaia rolled her eyes.

"Well, that isn't fair." Bash thought perhaps he should pay the professor a visit and convince him to change her grade.

"Whatever, being here with you makes it all better. Even if I am dreaming." She yawned.

Gaia wasn't making it easy for Sebastian to do what he knew he must.

As Gaia began to doze off, she gazed sleepily into his eyes. "I love you, Bash. I know I'm crazy because you aren't real, but you seem so real, and I can't help it. I love you and I want to always dream of you."

"Gaia—" It was official. She would be his undoing if he continued to see her. He had to walk away. He loved her too much. "I love you too. Always remember that. All I do is because I love you, my sweet pet."

Bash curved into Gaia and placed a soft kiss on her plush, pink, pouty lips. The last one, he was convinced, he'd ever give her.

Gaia sighed with pure contentment and closed her eyes. It wasn't long before her breathing became shallow and she was fast asleep.

Bash laid with Gaia and held her firm against his chest until he sensed the sun would rise. He slowly broke free and hovered over her. What Bash was about to do, he recognized was selfish, but he couldn't help himself.