Eternity Begins Now: Part 1

Bash pulled away and smiled. He pressed his lips to Gaia's forehead before he released her and got to his feet. His eyes scanned the painting as he approached. It was exceptionally good.

"How long have you been working on this? Did you ever plan on showing it to me?" Sebastian asked with a grin.

"Um. Probably a few months now. On and off in my spare time. And, yes. I planned on showing you when I finished. Do you like it?" Gaia held her breath and awaited his response.

"Like it? It's brilliant. You're talented, Gaia. You could make a living as an artist. I know individuals that would pay for work like this."

"Individuals as in other vampires?" Gaia asked, her head tilted to the side.

"Mostly, yes." Bash chuckled.

"Are there many of you here in the city?" Gaia was curious. It's possible she'd met others before and hadn't known.

"Our numbers aren't as great as they once were. The council, they're like our government, they regulate our numbers across the globe. Too many of us in one place has proven to be detrimental to our species. Not only does it cause more competition for food, but it also makes it easier for us to get picked off by hunters," Bash explained.

"You've mentioned hunters before. Who or what are they?"

Bash took one more look at the painting before returning to Gaia's side. "Hunters do just what their name suggests, they hunt vampires. And not just the bad ones. They don't see the difference between a vampire that lives in peace, and those that chase and murder for sport. The council will track down vampires that are causing problems. They learned early on, that it's better to live in harmony with humans than to use our power to dominate them. After all, there are more of you than there are of us."

"Does that mean you're in danger?" Gaia frowned. She didn't know Bash could be in danger. She thought all that talk was to dissuade her from wanting to be turned.

"You don't have to worry about me, dearest. I'm ancient and strong. We, unlike humans, strengthen with age. I'm one of the most powerful vampires in the area. Second only to my sire, Quintus," Bash reassured her.

"Do you live together? Nearby? I'm sorry. I'm asking a million questions." Gaia realized she knew very little about Bash's life, though he knew almost everything about hers.

"It's quite all right. I live a small distance away from here in Highland Park. Quin and I have a home there. We've been in this area for nearly fifteen years now."

"And Quin is like your best friend. He's your Mads."

Bash's laugh rang through Gaia's apartment. "Yes, precisely. He's my Mads. Except he's also more like my father."

"Oh, then he's definitely your Mads." Gaia giggled.

Bash looked at her wrecked blouse. "I'm sorry I ruined your shirt. I'll buy you another."

She shook her head. "Don't worry about it. I have plenty of clothes."

"Anything you need, don't hesitate to ask. I'll give you anything your heart desires. One perk of being ancient is that I've had centuries to amass a fortune. You never have to go without again."

"So, you're saying my boyfriend is filthy rich." Gaia smirked.

"Filthy stinking rich." Bash grinned.

"Will you tell me about your life? I want to know everything. What were you like before you were turned?" Gaia continued her inquisition.

"Gaia, I'll tell you all of that. Just not tonight. Not all of my memories are good ones, or easy to dredge up."