"A possible proposal?"- chapter 40

Alec's PoV
I'm stood outside my mothers book store and for a few moments I watched as she sorted though a large pile of books before putting them on the shelves. I breathed in deeply to calm my nerves before opening the door.

"Alec. What a nice surprise!" Mum chuckled, dropping all the books she had in her hands to pull me into a tight hug.

"I thought I'd actually stop by and see the place." I sighed, looking around at the every organised shop. "I'm proud of you."

"Thanks. It's really coming together isn't it?" She beamed, her smile huge as she took a look around the room.

"There's actually something I want to talk to you about..." I muttered, instantly wiping the smile off my mother's face.

"What is it?" She asked, gesturing me to sit down at a table in the middle of the room.

"Um..." I stuttered, trying to find the best way to get to what I want to say. "Magnus had a little health scare. He's okay everything's fine. But, Alissa was there... sobbing hysterically in my arms. When it happened, it made me realise how much she meant to me and how I would feel if that was Alissa instead of Magnus. I can't live without her."

"That's what love is." She replied, chuckling softly. "I'm so happy that you found each other. Even though I didn't see it in the past."

"Me too... and I need the family ring." I mumbled, surprise and excitement slowly formed across my mothers face. "I'm gonna ask Alissa to marry me... after all we've been through together, I think it's time..."

Alissa's PoV...
"I'm going to speak to Jonathan today. To try and get some answers from him." I said, to Alec as he hands fumbled to fasten his top button on his shirt. But he didn't reply. "Alec?"

"Yeah, that sounds great." He mumbled, staring at himself in the mirror. I dropped the book I was reading down onto my lap and looked at him in disbelief.

"Did you not hear what I just said?" I scoffed.

"Uh huh." He mumbled, his back still towards me.

"Okay I'm just gonna go speak to Jonathan right now." I mumbled, eyeing him suspiciously while getting out of bed. "Since you're acting really weird this morning."

"What? Who? No, no." He scoffed, grabbing my waist and pulling me back to the bed, stopping me from opening the door. "Besides, I'm feeling perfect. Now that you're almost back to your old self."

"Don't get carried away now." I mumbled, gesturing to the stupid rune on my shoulder. He sighed, shaking his head before replying.

"I was thinking we could have dinner tonight on the rooftop near the greenhouse. The head chef can prepare something special."

"That's romantic... what's the occasion?" I thought for a moment before I hit a panic button. "I haven't forgotten our anniversary or a birthday have I? Because if I have I apologise in advance..."

"No you haven't forgotten about anything. There's no occasion. I thought it would be nice to have a date night." He replied, dazzling me with his bright smile. "Can I not do something nice for my gorgeous girlfriend?"

"Oh... well. You are one lucky man to have me as your girlfriend." I giggled, kissing him on the cheek. "I'll be ready by 8 o'clock, now come on I'm going to see Jonathan even if you don't like me to."