Ready for Adventure

A distant sun sank past the horizon, bathing the French country side with orange and pink colors. Waves from the ocean rolled up on the coast, sliding along the sandy beaches before retreating back to the sea. The smell of the wildflowers scattering the fields lifted with the seeds of dandelions to be carried by the salty ocean breeze.

The southern coastal village across the mountains lay far from the intricate politics of the French Monarchy and removed from the troubles of larger towns and cities. Life was simple in the little farming community. Every day filled with the same mundane errands; feeding livestock, cleaning stalls, spinning and weaving wool into clothing, avoiding all contact with the boring folk of Maelynn.

The village life was definitely one of simplicity. Despite the natural beauty of the location, Rosalie LaFleur dreamt of other, far-off places. Looking out from the highest point of one of the many rolling hills, she imagined a large castle imposing on their little valley, facing the coast. The stone would sparkle against the bright light of the sun, a beacon at the edge of the ocean.

Rosalie sank to her knees on the soft grass, stirring up a flurry of fluffy dandelions. Her dress ruffled around her and she frowned at the bland white apron covering her dirty blue dress, but her mind drew on its own creativity, shifting the dress into a luxurious and colorful ball gown; one only the elite women in French society would wear. Her shoes would glimmer with gemstones and she'd have her shoulder-length hair curled, the brown locks piled and pinned on top of her head in the latest fashion.

Rosalie wondered what a castle gathering would be like. She didn't care much for social interaction, but she would love to race down the empty halls, in an ensemble befitting a queen or twirl on a ballroom's dance floor. She giggled as the creative illusion disappeared from her mind, leaving her with the immense contrast of her reality.

Her eyes drifted from the scenic view to the darkened forest to the north leading to the mountains. A shiver spread over her, an involuntary reaction to the eerie sight. The mountain loomed high, shrouding the trees with shadows, keeping any light at bay.

Many villagers had spread rumors of a hideous monster roaming the woods, waiting to devour anyone daring to enter its territory. While she never gave into the crowd hysteria, she hadn't dismissed the spooky aura emanating from within. Monster or not, the forest defintely frightened her. Still, her adventurous, albeit reckless, spirit craved to explore the dark depths of the fearsome woods.

Rosalie's mind slipped again into imagination as she trekked the woods, searching for evidence of the so-called monster. She would end up finding a soft and furry little bunny whose hops would crunch leaves so loud, it terrified any who passed by. Or perhaps a large bear, whose frightful roars turn out to be a deterrent; the animal's way of scaring off anyone getting too close to her cubs. OR--

The crack of thunder startled Rosalie from her thoughts. She laughed nervously at her reaction.

Daydreaming was fun, but she had chores to do and there was defintely a storm brewing. Her father would more than likely be too busy tinkering with his scientific projects to run errands.

Rosalie stood and sprinted across the rolling hills to the home she shared with her father, slowing down only to pet her painted horse, Max. She entered the living area and grabbed her basket from the wooden table centered in the room. She turned to the window in the corner and approached the small table littered with various tools and trinkets. Taking the small jar from her father's desk, she retrieved a money pouch that held their savings. She withdrew a few coins, then replaced the pouch and jar back in their proper place.

No, daydreaming was a luxury she and her father couldn't afford. She needed to go into the market and purchase supplies for his trip. They had been hoping he would sell his newest contraption, but that would only happen if he finished it and the storm passed in time.

Rosalie wanted to hurry off and return to help him, even if she'd run into Maelynn's most unsavory residents along the way. Dealing with the ignorance of others had become a necessary skill while living there.

Besides, her favorite librarian, Mr. Pascal, had promised a new shipment of books were to arrive this week. She pulled a single book from the shelf by the door, smiling at it fondly. Even if Rosalie was one of very few commoners who were literate and the citizens of Maelynn thought of her as mildly weird, she never let that get in the way of her stories.

She quickly wrapped a shawl around her shoulders and placed her book in the basket before setting off. As she closed the door behind her, she looked forward to the next story she would get to dive into.

She was ready for a new adventure, though the one she was about to stumble into wasn't quite what she had expected.