Bastien The Bastard

"It truly warms my heart to see you waiting for my arrival, bella!"

Rosalie prayed for patience as she turned from the door to her home. She'd been so close to the safety inside, where she could have pretended to be gone or asleep and not have to face Bastien, the hunter. No such luck for her.

"Good evening, Bastien. I'm afraid I haven't even started making dinner," she said through clenched teeth.

He grinned and responded, "That's fine, chère. I don't mind waiting while you cook for us."

She turned so he couldn't see her face and immediately rolled her eyes. Opening the door, she gestured for him to follow as she entered. She walked across the main area, past her father's desk to the kitchen and began gathering the ingredients for her stew.

"Will your father be joining us or is he too busy chasing another insane idea?," he asked.

She hadn't missed the underlying insult to her father's intelligence. With restraint, she continued preparing vegetables.

"No," she finally answered, "He is on his way to the inventor's convention to unveil his newest invention. It's quite marvelous and should help a great deal of farmer's. All we need is an interested buyer," she praised her father's work.

Bastien snorted in response, then snickered, then busted into full on laughter. The sound grated on her every nerve. She twisted her head to glare at him, but he was oblivious to her anger.

"You are hilarious, bella. I knew I made the right choice when I decided you were going to be my bride. You would make the perfect wife. All you need is a little more motivation to have dinner ready by the time I come home," he said.

Rosalie turned away, barely resisting the urge to toss a carrot at his head. She finished chopping the meat and vegetables, then placed them all into a pot by the fireplace. She hooked the cauldron onto the swing arm and rotated it over the fire to cook. His lack of compassion irked her.

If not for that and his oversized ego, he would be somewhat decent. A small strap placed behind his head held his auburn hair neatly, showcasing his amber colored eyes. His nose ran straight down, slightly widening near the end. His height and his square jaw helped give him an aristocratic appearance, but his broad chest and back made him appear physically fit. Years of hunting and generations of good genetics had been kind to Bastien, no doubt.

She still wouldn't willingly touch him with a ten-foot stick. Maybe she'd poke him with a spear.

When she stood and turned, she came face to face with the hunter. Too close for her comfort, she gave him a nervous smile, backing away inconspicuously. He crowded her into the corner by the fireplace.

"You always give me these mixed signals, chère. First you show me that pretty smile, then you invite me over to your house for dinner on a night when your father is away. Yet, you've made no attempt to woo me. What is a man to think, Rosalie?"

Apprehension set in as she scanned for an escape route. He'd cornered her like she was his prey. The hunter gave her a menacing smirk and dipped his face closer to hers, lips puckered for a kiss. The rank scent of wine and tobacco assailed her and she coughed to clear her airway. An idea came to Rosalie as she dodged his next attempt to kiss her.

"Bastien, would you please let me by. I need get some wine from the cellar. Father keeps it hidden, in case thieves or marauders happen by," she stumbled over her words, but when he backed off, she breathed a sigh of relief that she had appealed to his drunken nature.

As soon as she could leave, she'd give him time to cool off. They could eat quietly and she would send him on his way. That way, the village rumor mill would have little ammunition to use against her.

When she moved toward the door, he stopped her by gripping her upper arm tightly. She yanked away, but his hold was too strong. Her heart stammered at the evil gleam in his eye. Rosalie summoned her own strength, but she hesitated, hoping he would come to his senses and release her. He used his other hand to grasp the nape of her neck, tangling his fingers in her hair for a tighter grip.

Rosalie complied when he pulled her forward toward him. Using the momentum and the force of his movement, she slammed her forehead into the bridge of his nose. The crack of bone and cartilage pleased her, making up for the sharp pain spreading across her head. He finally released her to grab his nose, which bled profusely.

Rosalie used the opportunity to run outside, her green gaze darting as panic drove her to keep moving. She knew the hunter had feelings for her, but she had never expected him to act on them against her will. His volatile nature exposed itself with a ruthless yell coming from inside her home.

She had to choose quickly. Knowing the villagers would be more inclined to help him over her, she spun toward the dark forest at the base of the mountain and took off in a sprint. She'd nearly reached the treeline when Bastien called out to her.

"Rosalie! Do not make me come after you! Enough with the games, bella. It's time I make you mine!"

Her blood pumped faster as fright made her heart beat wildly. Bastien was crazed and on the hunt... for her. Her fear of the dangerous hunter sent her barreling into the dark forest, unaware of the real danger looming just inside.