Parting Of Ways

The hall of the West Wing looked just as foreboding as before. The castle's servants seemed to have avoided the area for some time, neglecting the damage and debris. Michel's chambers loomed at the end of the hall.

Her throat tightened as Rosalie neared the door. She didn't know what to say, but she needed to convince him that she would do whatever it took to break the spell causing his transformation.

Taking in a steadying breath, she pulled the doors open. Her eyes drifted across the disarray; furniture turned over or completely broken and shredded tapestries dangling by threads on the walls. Her gaze moved up as her lips parted in awe. Rose vines snaked through the ceiling, climbing down and ensnaring an unlit chandelier.

The midday light shining from the terrace bounced off the blooming roses and their prickly thorns, enhancing their beauty. Several petals slipped from above, showering down into a blanket of crimson on the floor. The floral scent enveloped her as she breathed in the sweet smell of the flowers.

Rosalie peered around the room, searching for Michel until her eyes came to rest on one of the only unbroken pieces of furniture. A dark cloth covered it, but the eerie blue light that radiated from underneath coaxed her to investigate further.

Her body tingled as she moved closer. The energy shifted around the shrouded object, a strange sense of unease saturating the air.

A scraping sound came from the terrace, drawing her away from the luminescent enigma hiding underneath the fabric. Rosalie peeked out the opened glass doors to see the huge furry creature hunched over the snow covered railing. She cringed at the sound of his nails scraping the stony banister.

"Michel?"

He continued studying the carved stone, scraping his claws back and forth.

"Your curiosity is going to get you killed one day," his deep, growling voice grated.

She shrugged and smiled bashfully, though he couldn't see.

"I suppose I can be a bit reckless," she agreed, "But, that's not a good reason to send me away."

"You didn't want to be here to begin with. I should've never taken you from your husband."

Rosalie appeared baffled for a moment, then she scrunched her nose in disgust.

"Are you serious?! Bastien Chasseur is an absolute pig and I would have to be a complete idiot to ever even consider accepting his proposal. He is the most egotistical bastard who has absolutely no regard for any life, but his own."

The beast turned, confusion wrinkling his forehead.

"Why were you alone in the dark forest with a man who's not your husband in the dead of night?"

She raised one brow and pursed her lips.

"Why were you running through the woods with a pack of wolves in the dead of night?," she countered.

"My sentries? They are the ones who alerted me to your presence and the danger you were in. That's why I disobeyed Magda and left the castle. She promised to destroy every brick and murder every member of my household if I went against her."

Rosalie dropped her gaze and folded her hands in front of her. She thought she could convince him to let her help, but she realized she had no idea how to stop a curse or a queen. If anything, she'd been a nuisance during her entire stay.

"You need to leave. Regardless of the circumstances, I cannot protect you from Magda. You are safest in your village...Away from me," his gravely voice said.

She decided to proceed with her interrogation since he'd opened the door by mentioning his crazy ex-fiancé.

"I'm not leaving until you tell me why. What can she do to me here?"

He gave a humorless laugh, deep voice echoing into the distance. His body twisted to face her again.

"Can't you see? What was once my home has turned into a prison. Look at what she'd done, at what we've become," he raised his arms, "This place is hell, and you deserve so much more."

She watched his face cloud with despair, eyes conveying more anguish than he could ever express in words. He stepped toward her and she didn't retreat. His palm lifted up into the space between them. She placed her hand into his, amazed at the difference in size, despite her somber mood. His arm dropped away all too soon.

"You must leave and never return."

Rosalies heart twisted, those words carving into her like a knife. He had been right. She'd never planned to stay, not when her father and their home needed her, but she couldn't imagine leaving forever.

It wasn't just the magical creatures with whom she could carry on a conversation and not feel completely out of place or unwelcome. Nor was it just the mystical ambiance of the immense castle with its overwhelming splendor. She'd miss Michel the most; a mysterious stranger who stumbled upon her in the forest and shared the beauty of his home with her, the man whose banter annoyed her to no end, the male who reached out to her when he needed some sort attachment to the outside world.

"Promise me, chére. Promise you will stay far away from the dark forest," he pleaded roughly.

She shoved down her selfish thoughts, unwilling to jeopardize anyone's safety. Even for the gentle beast that had given her an adventure she'd never forget. Her lips quivered as she tried to say the words, sorrowful tears streaming down her face.

When she finally spoke, her heart wrenched on each syllable.

"I promise..."