An Unusual Bargain

"Excusez-moi," Rosalie said in an indignant tone.

She pulled away from Bastien, letting him fall back to the ground in a heap. He cursed several times. She put her hands on her hips, then spun around.

The stranger stood only a few feet from her. A dark cloak covered his body. His hood hung low, hiding most of his features. She could see faint wisps of dark hair underneath. Swirling water colored his eyes, giving them a welcoming appearance. His scowl was much less comforting.

"Who do you think you are? I could be of royal descent or a noblewoman and I deserve respect," she said with false bravado.

"Sure thing, Madame. Would you like the same respect the fool was just giving you," he snidely commented.

Rosalie gasped at his insolent attitude. He acted worse than some of the villagers. She took in a deep breath, summoning whatever patience she had left.

"If you don't mind, this man needs  medical attention. If you'll just point me in the right direction--"

"Let me stop you there," he said, raising his hands as added effect, "I actually do mind. In fact, you're trespassing. Now, the predicament I saw you in gave me pause on your judgement. But you chose to return. Anyone crossing into my territory forfeits their life."

Rosalie blinked at him. He thought he owned the dark forest. She considered the idea that the stranger had lost his mind as a wandering vagrant.

"Right. So, stepping over an invisible line is such a grievous offense that it's punishable by death?," she asked to clarify.

The stranger grinned and she nearly returned it with a smile of her own. The man had some serious charm, maybe even more than Bastien. Unfortunately, instead of complimenting himself incessantly, the stranger insulted her at every opportunity. She glanced down and realized the hunter had passed out during her conversation with the stranger.

She bent over to examine the wound again, shaking her head as the blood continued flowing steadily. If she didn't hurry back to the village, he'd bleed out on the forest floor. Rosalie's hands shook as she pressed more cloth into the wound. She jerked her head up toward the stranger to plead with him.

"Please, we need to get him back before he dies!," she shrieked.

She hadn't watched the life drain from someone for such a long time. Not since her mother's final breaths. Her eyesight blurred as tears started cascading from her eyes. Rosalie refused to stand by as someone she could help died.

Without giving the stranger any regard, she started pulling Bastien's arms. She maneuvered him into several positions, attempting to find the most efficient way to carry him. Rosalie tried shifting him onto her back, but his weight nearly crushed her. As she carefully let him fall back, the stranger's soft chuckle combed through her frayed nerves.

Rosalie grabbed the stick she'd used to ward off the wolves, all of which had simply sat and observed everything. She turned in the stranger's direction. He held his hands up in defeat.

"How about we make a bargain?," he asked.

Without much other choice, she sighed and waved her hand for him to continue.

"I'll take your friend back to the village, if you come stay with me."

Rosalie raised a brow, confused at the decision he wanted her to make. Hadn't he just made fun of her? Now, he wanted her in his home? Men were such fickle creatures.

"One, he is NOT my friend. And two, I will agree to go to your home, with certain conditions."

"And what are these 'conditions'?"

She shook her head.

"You don't get to know until you've successfully gotten him aid," she said.

The stranger tilted his head to the side as he considered the arrangement.

"That doesn't sound fair," he stated.

She stared pointedly at him.

"Neither does a death sentence for trespassing," was her rebuttal.

The stranger smirked in admiration, then nodded in agreement.

"Deal."