chapter four: finish your eggos

starling couldn't handle it

starling couldn't handle it. she hadn't seen the young girl in over a week. she knows this was supposed to be a good thing, but why did it hurt so bad?

she missed the pretty girl. i mean, it was crazy. starling barely knew her and she missed her like hell.  maybe that's why she missed her, because she didn't even have enough time to get to know her and now, maybe she never will.  it would be forever a memory of "what if's" and starling doesn't think she could ever handle that.

"skipping work again?" robin sat on the edge of starlings bed, facing the headboard with one leg bent and the other dangling.

starling sighed, merely nodding her head. she stopped coming into work when el stopped coming in as well.

"yeah, that's okay. i realized that the workload doesn't need three people. steve and i do just fine without you" robin chuckled.

"you really know how to make a girl feel special." starling sarcastically mumbles, turning over to lay on her side that didn't face robin.

"i'm kidding. it's true, we don't need you but we like having you. you light up the place, star."

starling turned her head and glared at her before she could make a pun about star's giving off light, then turning back around.

"has el came in at all?" starling asked, picking at her sheets.

robin sighed, "no, but her friends and her little boyfriend has."

"what?!" starling yelled, sitting up straight against the headboard.

"yeah. mike comes in and talks about her all the time, saying how great she is and how she's such a good kisser." robin began to make kissy noises, pretending like she was making out with the air.

starling clenched her jaw and pushed the older girl off her bed. her older sister fell on her ass with a thump!, but she was still giggling.

"fuck off rob, go to work." starling mumbled, rolling her eyes playfully as she buried herself deeper in her nest of blankets. she sighed when the warmth enveloped her in a way that resembled how jane made starling feel.

"go to work blah blah blah." robin quietly mocked her sister as she walked out, making sure to close the door on her way out.

it was an hour later when starling was awoken from her nap. she heard the doorbell go off repeatedly and star groaned, thrashing around in her bed angrily before getting on her feet and going to answer the front door. her hair was disheveled and she was barely wearing anything, but she didn't care. she just wanted to go back to bed.

her vision was blurry when she swung the door open, but she saw the familiar figure standing there timidly and her eyes widened.

"jane? what're you doing here?" starling asked and looked out her front lawn, realizing it was raining and that jane didn't have an umbrella, "jesus christ, come in, come in."