chapter eight: spaghetti buckley

hopper came home that night, early as he promised

both of them sat on the couch comfortably watching a random movie eleven had picked out, when eleven decided to speak up.

"hopper." she looked at the man sitting on the recliner.

"hmm?" he grunted, not taking his eyes off the screen.

"can we talk?" she asked quietly. hopper looked at the girl, then back at the tv. he sighed before turning it off and facing his adoptive daughter completely.

"what's up, kid?"

"there's this person i really like.." eleven tested the waters. hopper sensed she wasn't finished, but he cut in anyways.

"it's not mike, is it?" he grumbled. eleven snorted.

"no, not mike. someone better." she smiled to herself.

"okay.. well.. what about them?" hopper asked. he was confused as to why eleven had needed to tell him this.

"uhm.." eleven didn't understand why this was so scary to her. she had been through hell and back her whole life, why was this any different?

she chickened out last second, "do you want to have dinner with us tomorrow?"

hopper smiled softly. he saw how much this meant to the small girl, so he found himself nodding and his stern look melting away

"sure. tomorrow at.. 8? sound good?" hopper suggested. that would be the earliest he could get off work.

"yeah. thank you." eleven smiled happily before turning back to the tv and resuming the movie.

--

"this is lorraine, how may i help you?" an older woman spoke through the phone. janes eyes widened as she realized this was robin and starlings mom.

"hello ma'am. how are you?" jane asked, trying to make a lasting impression.

"uh... i'm doing well... and you?" the woman sounded awkward and jane realized this probably wasn't usual.

"i'm doing fine thank you. may i talk to starling please?" she had asked as politely as she could.

"ah, yes. let me go get her." she heard shuffling on the other end.

"starling! phones for you!" lorraine yelled, causing eleven to jump.

it was seconds of silence before she heard her favorite voice through the phone.

"hello?" starling had asked hesitantly, not knowing who would call her.

"hello!" jane chirped happily. she heard starling giggle.