chapter ten: girl problems

starling jumped when the door was suddenly slammed shut

starling jumped when the door was suddenly slammed shut. her eyebrows furrowed and she felt a sharp pang in her heart. she knew she hasn't reached out to eleven, but she didn't think she would be this mad.

she knocked on the door again and it swung open once more. elevens eyes softened once she saw her beloved sad ones.

"hey.." she trailed off, looking behind her to see mike. that stupid mike with his stupid smile.

"starling? what're you doing here?" he asked, jogging up to stand annoyingly close behind jane. their bodies were practically touching.

eleven watched as starlings expression ran cold. she didn't answer, but only looked at jane.

"can you wait inside? i'll be back." she turned around and looked up towards mike. he smiled before nodding and jane closed the door behind her.

"i got you these." starling mumbled, handing her the bouquet of flowers, "i came to say sorry for not talking to you, i've been busy."

jane smiled at the flowers. they were a pretty assortment of pink and yellow flowers she didn't recognize.

"that's okay. i wasn't mad." jane smiled. she went up to kiss starling, but starling only backed away.

"what's mike doing here?" she asked.

starling didn't like that they were hanging out alone in janes house. she only hoped they weren't in her room together, because the thought of the grimy boy thinking he even had a chance with jane made her jaw clench.

"he got bored and i was bored, so he came over." jane frowned at the rejection. starling looked at the ground before back up at her.

"so you didn't bother asking me to hang out?" starling asked, hurt.

"i thought you were at wor-"

"what have you guys been doing?" she tried to act cool but she shifted nervously and fidgeted around way too much to appear calm.

jane smiled softly before walking forward and taking her hand into her own.

"just talking.." jane hesitated, "..we were on the couch talking."

"should i go? i don't want to disrupt you guys." starling was reluctant, her memory flashing back to when she interrupted max and her. she just wanted to hang out with eleven for a full day alone.

"no.. i think i can get rid of him." jane leaned in to whisper. starling perked up and giggled before nodding excitedly. it was obvious she couldn't ever stay mad at her.

she gave the younger girl a small peck, which fueled janes want to get rid of the boy.

she went back inside, leaving the door open for starling and setting the flowers down. jane hushed quick words to mike. starling watched as his eyes widened and his cheeks were tinted a deep red. he nodded slowly.