chapter six: pretty

everyday after that, jane would visit star at work at 3 p

everyday after that, jane would visit star at work at 3 p.m.. starling would take her 15 minute break and they would go out to walk around the mall or try on clothes. they mostly just hung out in the back room with robin or steve. they've gotten to know jane and they really like her. they especially really like her for star.

both the employees thought that jane was softening star. they noticed her become a lot more happy and a lot less snarky. robin especially, since she lived with her. she was a lot nicer to their parents and have been continuing her pursuit to get a drivers license.

robin knew why. she knew she wanted to go out and see jane outside of the mall for once. jane never had a ride anywhere, the bus being too expensive for the girl who didn't get an allowance like everyone else. starling paid for her ice cream all the time and even bought her a few clothes.

starling was damn whipped and she loved it.

she was at scoops ahoy waiting for the smaller girl to come in and make her day better. a customer had come in and yelled at her because there was a hair in her ice cream, but she knew this lady. she just wanted another scoop for free.

she had to give it to her anyways (company policy) and the lady called her a bitch.

starling stared at the counter glumly, her elbow on the surface and her chin in her hand. jane was late today, the lady was a bully, and she had her drivers test soon so she had to take off early.

"hey lingling, it's 3:45. do you want to take off right now?" steve asked as he walked through the back doors, fixing his hat. him and robin were playing cards.

"might as well, janes not coming today i guess." starling sighed.

"she'll come in tomorrow, or maybe when you pass your drivers test you can go to her house and surprise her?" steve rubbed the girls back, trying to comfort her as his side was pressed into the cold, metal counter.

"yeah, i guess." starling mumbled before standing up and walking out the scoops ahoy. she didn't bother saying bye to robin, she'd see her at home.

jane groaned from the void, taking her blindfold off and wiping her nose. hopper had grounded her for a week after he found out she had been sneaking off to the mall everyday. he yelled at her about responsibility and how friends don't lie to each other. she felt horrible and decided not to fight against him.

this wasn't janes first time looking at starling through the void. she had been there when starling stopped showing up to work. she missed her badly that week, but didn't want to upset max. she decided to secretly watch starling through the void, not creepily but just to make sure she was okay. okay and maybe just to ogle at the girl.

that's how she found out that robin had lied to starling. hopper wasn't home so she raced over to her house as soon as she could that day.

"hey el, it's max.. over" she heard her radio say. she sighed. max only said over around the boys, meaning they were listening in on the conversation.