Chapter One : Ryder Evans

JANUARY 2014

Walter's eyes flickered open as the sun peaked through his blinds, radiating light onto the girl to his rights' side. He began wrapping his arm around her waist when she turned over and smiled at him. Her light green eyes gazed up at him as she placed strands of her blond hair behind her ear before brushing her hand against his cheek.

          "Morning," she said to him.

          Walter smiled at her, "Good morning."

          She sighed, knowing she had slept in like she warned him not to let her. "Walter, I thought I told you — "

          He pressed his lips onto hers, ignoring the fact that neither of them had even brushed their teeth yet. Faith pulled back, placing her hair in a messy bun. "Ok, I, um, I need to get in the shower."

          "Love it. Let's go." Walter said before he pecked her lips once again.

           Faith rolled her eyes as she got out of bed and closed the bathroom door after her. Walter heard the shower start to run and he walked over to the kitchen area and began brushing his teeth over at the sink.

           By the time Faith was dressed and ready to go, Walter had made her a plate of scrambled eggs. "You're so nice to me," she smiled as she sat down at the counter. She quickly ate her breakfast while it was his turn to hop in the shower, where Faith had used all the hot water.

          When they'd finally made it to Walter's car, the two drove out of the parking lot and down the street to the nearest grocery store.

          Faith liked going grocery shopping with Walter; mainly because if she didn't, all he would buy is ice cream and junk food. "Okay," Faith had said as she looked down at the grocery list, when there were only a few items left to be crossed out. Walter strolled the cart next to Faith and looked down at the list as well. "Tomato sauce and bread, and then we're down."

          They entered the pasta aisle and approached the endless variety of pasta sauces. Walter reached for the Ragu and Faith quickly shook her head, placing it back on the shelf and putting the Prego into the cart. "You know, this'd make a lot more sense if you just moved in with me."

          Faith's flitted up and down the aisle to see if any other customers were in earshot. There weren't any. She could never hide her self consciousness. "I don't know, Walt. I just wouldn't feel comfortable."

           His brows furrowed, "How come? I mean, we've been dating for two years now. And you're at the apartment half the time anyways — "

          "I know but ..." She trailed off.

            Walter knew what she was referring to; he hated getting in a fight about it with her. "Not this again, Faith," he rolled his eyes and took a step back, leaning his back up against the shelves.

           "Walt, you can't tell me that other couples, who've dated for as long as we have, haven't met each other's families."

           "I've met your family." He said, "They're nice — and religious."

           "But I haven't met yours," she pointed out. "I've heard you talk about them — what — twice? And I only found out you have a brother because I found your high school yearbook hidden under the kitchen sink."

          "I don't talk to my brother," he said firmly. Faith sighed, rubbing her nose. "What?"

          "What?"