Chapter Three

Kristen stared at Detective Hernandez, who was dressed in her sharply pressed olive department uniform, as she reviewed the information collected at the house earlier that morning. Kristen had last seen Ryan Hoffman as he entered the master bathroom around seven-thirty yesterday evening. Kristen heard Hoffman fall down yesterday evening, attributing it to his intoxication. Kristen fell asleep as she waiting for him to rejoin her in the bedroom. Kristen woke and discovered Hoffman's body in the bathroom shortly before four o'clock a.m.

Kristen confirmed each point both verbally and with a nod before Hernandez sat back in her seat and began the meat of the interview.

"You're employed in San Diego?" asked Hernandez.

"Yes. I work for Scripps Medical Center in La Jolla as a clinical psychologist," Kristen answered, adding the address.

"And you're a doctor of psychology?" the detective confirmed.

"I have a doctorate degree from the University of California at San Diego," Kristen nodded.

"Why you were in Cambria yesterday?" asked the woman.

"I've been here for three weeks now," said Kristen. "I arrived shortly after my father passed away at the end of August. I've stayed in town to prepare the house for sale."

"Will you remain in Cambria until the home remodel is completed, or it's sold, or...?" asked Hernandez.

"I had planned on leaving this week. We've had a couple bumps along the way, but I hired a contractor to oversee the renovations for me so I could return to work in San Diego," Kristen clarified.

"You mentioned the contractor to Sheriff Pomeroy this morning. What is the man's name again?"

"Tony De Luca," said Kristen.

"How did you meet Mr. De Luca?"

"He had met with my father about renovating the house. Then after my dad passed, I hired Tony to complete the work they had planned together."

Hernandez paused, her eyes remaining fixed on Kristen.

"How long has Mr. De Luca been working in the house?" she continued.

"The past two and a half weeks, near about," said Kristen

"He was going to manage the repairs for you, and you were planning to entrust the house to him after you returned south?" Hernandez asked.

"Correct," confirmed Kristen.

"Does Mr. De Luca have a key to the house?" the detective added.

"Yes, he has the key," said Kristen. "He's been letting himself in each morning, he starts very early in the morning. He also locks up on the way out if I'm not in the house before he leaves. But he's always on-site when the other construction workers are there."

"But Mr. De Luca wasn't there when you and Mr. Hoffman came home from your date?" asked Hernandez.

"No. Our date ran long, and Tony locked up the house before he left for the day."

"I showed you a note, I apologize I don't have it with me," said the detective. "I believe it was written by Mr. De Luca, and we found it on the first floor. Do you remember it?"

"Yes, he had written to let me know that he was taking Penelope with him," answered Kristen.

"Penelope is your dog?" the woman asked.

"Yes," said Kristen with a nod.

"The note said the dog was restless and that he was taking her for a run?" the detective asked with a slight frown, the first bit of emotion she had displayed since they began.