Chapter Eight

Kristen's mind did it's best to hold onto the dream, willing herself to delve deeper and bring her mind back to the lover's embrace, but the light streaming through the uncovered window was too strong and pulled her back to consciousness. When Kristen finally opened her eyes, the man was lying beside her. He was neither Pamela nor Bobby Hill any longer, but the man Kristen had seen over and over both in her dreams and in those seconds just past the threshold of waking.

His name was Valon.

He appeared to her as solidly as any other object in the house, his steel-blue eyes watched Kristen lovingly, his warm fingers gently smoothing her curls of red hair back from her eyes. For the first time, Kristen was not afraid of him, and she gazed at his stunning face without the slightest glimmer of concern. Kristen felt safe at his side. She was perhaps never more at ease or content in her life.

A noise came from outside her room, and she heard the tapping footsteps of Penelope moving through the house. The Husky and Tony had returned from their walk.

Valon's face moved, as if he were about to speak, but no words came from him. When Penelope rounded the corner and passed through the opened guest bedroom door, Valon disappeared right before Kristen's eyes. She felt the air mattress shift as the weight of him was no longer present.

The Husky entered the room at nearly a manic pace, agitated by something she was wildly intent on discovering. Could Penelope sense him? Sniffing around the floor until she was satisfied, the dog soon hopped up on top of the air mattress, causing it wobble a bit, before licking Kristen's face devotedly. Penelope then circled in place three times before landing beside her mother and assuming her nap-time position.

Kristen watched Penelope without moving, still comforted by the lingering caress of Valon's hand, its warmth not yet gone. In time, the animal closed her eyes, and Kristen took the cue to gently rise from the bed. While the woman's movement alerted the dog, Penelope didn't move a muscle in response, and soon closed her eyes again. Kristen reached for her tablet and walked quietly from the guest room to go check on the laundry.

She thanked Tony as she passed him. He was already back at work, focused on the kitchen ceiling, despite his vocalized intentions to do nothing.

"Probably another hour," she updated him as she headed outside to make her way to the garage.

"Very good," he answered with a vague nod, wholly absorbed with his crafting.

In the garage, Kristen transferred the wet items to the dryer and filled the washer with her new sheets. When both machines where rumbling away, she fired up her iPad. On the screen, Kristen opened the iCloud file she'd created of published research on various topic related to the paranormal. Dissatisfied by her initial review, she soon went back to the scientific search engines to find more data. Certainly, there must be types of ghosts, types of hauntings that resembled her experiences.

This can't be real, Kristen thought violently as her mind closed to reject the very word, 'ghosts.' The psychologist's knee-jerk reaction forced her eyes from the screen. But after a moment of sulking, she pushed past the wall, forcing herself to look back at the search results.

Kristen realized that seeking another appointment with her therapist was futile, she must figure this out on her own. How could this be a delusion? Of course, she had never experienced a delusion before her father passed away. But why this delusion? Why a ghost who fornicates with women while they sleep? Kristen didn't want to allow the word 'rape' to enter her internal monologue, but wasn't that what this was? Why would she have delusions about getting ghost raped? The very idea infuriated Kristen. Why not a delusion about puppies or kittens or the perfect pizza pie that didn't have a single calorie to speak of?

As difficult as it was to allow her mind to entertain the concept of the afterlife, Kristen realized that she might as well dive headlong into reviewing everything others had experienced if she were going to get her feet dirty. And over the next hour, she amassed white papers on every type of ghost, apparition, or demon that could be found.

Kristen noted the contact information for several researchers who had published their email contact information. She would write a letter to each of them tomorrow. With any luck, the Psy. D. initials after her name would persuade them to take her inquiry for assistance seriously.

Swiping to close her open applications, Kristen noticed her podcast application was still open to the conspiracy theory comedy show she'd listened to on one of her first nights with Penelope by her side. The show was called Wait, Whaaat?, hosted by two mothers who loved to talk about their favorite paranormal stories while highly caffeinated.

Kristen realized their weekly podcast was recorded purely for entertainment purposes, but she guessed they might still be a source for information. They'd already devoted several episodes to the subject of ghosts and hauntings. Perhaps they could reference her to similar accounts that could point Kristen toward other avenues of research. She found her way through Google to the show's website, finding their email address.

The dryer buzzed loudly that it was finish, startling Kristen. She would begin her many emails this evening when she returned from the gym. Kristen turned off her tablet and collected her new clothes. She made her way back to the house and let Tony know she was ready for her first shower at the gym.