Chapter Twenty

Kristen overcame her initial desire to show the diaries to Tony. Though it was a relief to confess her troubles, the conversation with Tony had forced Kristen to again confront the challenge of making an employee a genuine intimate. But if he talked chose to her raise the matter again, she would at least mention it. Otherwise, Kristen didn't think it was reasonable to burden Tony unnecessarily.

Still, the woman had a kick in her step as she walked Penelope out the front door and around the house to the rear yard. She observed the cleaners were still working; their white van was parked in the driveway behind Tony's truck. Kristen soon found Tony seated in the back yard, eating a bland piece of chicken in a bowl with a grain she didn't recognize. Penelope gleefully went to join him, sniffing at his meal with excitement as if she'd arrived just in time to partake of something delicious he certainly intended to share with her.

"They're still upstairs?" Tony asked, moving the small plastic bowl with his lunch away from the dog's mouth.

"They are," she confirmed. Nodding towards Tony's meal with a squint, Kristen asked, "Do I need to order us some lunch?"

"It's wonderful," he chewed with mock confusion.

"It looks a little undercooked. Is it even seasoned?"

"No, it's grilled plain," Tony answered. "There's seasoning in the quinoa."

"That's wonderful?" she asked suspiciously.

Tony smiled and took a sip from his green soda can.

"Gotta eat clean to stay lean," he said, "and it tastes just fine."

"You're staying lean drinking high fructose?" Kristen raised her eyebrow.

"Nope, this water," he answered.

"They serve water in soda pop cans now?"

"Well, its water with bubbles and a twist of lime. But, yes, they sell water in soda pop cans now."

"Oh, I see - how fancy. I suppose that's how all of this happens?" Kristen asked, waving her hand at Tony's physique.

"A lot of it, actually," he smiled again. "So, you're feeling better?"

Tony nodded at Kristen's feet, which were mindlessly doing a little dance where she stood. She stopped herself and returned the nod, the up and down motion of her head taking over the silent beat her legs had abandoned.

"I'm doing better," she acknowledged. "I'm grateful you let me talk to you earlier . It's helped organize my thoughts, and I'm ready to resolve my problems."

"Very good," said Tony. "It helps to talk through things. I heard that from a shrink on the Oprah show when I was a kid."

Kristen couldn't help but laugh at the guy. She was grateful to have the man's level head around. Then Kristen jumped when Penelope released a succession of painfully loud barks before Tony could quiet her.

"Someone rang the doorbell," he confirmed when he'd quieted the dog, then rose to run out to attend to his next arrival of the day.

After leashing Penelope to the extended collar and filling her bowl with fresh water, Kristen followed in Tony's footsteps, happening upon him and a man who wore a Terminix uniform as they stood in the living room.

"Kristen, this is the exterminator, George," Tony said, interrupting himself to introduce her.

"Oh, so soon? It's good to meet you, George," Kristen answered, looking at the watch on her left wrist before extending her right hand. "Tony said you might not be here until the end of the day."