Chapter Twelve

Kristen arrived home that afternoon with Tony's requested rodent-prevention supplies, which he gladly paused his plasterwork to take off her hands. She left the Hasbro Ouija Board in the trunk of her sedan, unprepared for Tony to learn about it just yet.

Elaine had scoffed at the invitation to join Kristen for a night of communicating with the dead. In the end, the two women had exchanged phone numbers, but Kristen didn't expect to hear from her again. Still, being able to say everything aloud to someone who wasn't a doctor, who would listen purely to disseminate each sentence or expression in the search for the source of Kristen's mental illness, had proved to be a mighty relief. By the time Kristen suggested contacting the ghost by formal means, she was keenly motivated to attack this challenge head-on. That Elaine believed there was a chance the Ouija board could work was all the license Kristen needed to attempt something she would otherwise consider to be foolish.

However, when Kristen received a text message from an unknown number late in the afternoon, she became somewhat anxious. The message writer identified herself as Paula McCambridge, a friend of Elaine Chaney's, and Kristen quickly ascertained that she was the co-host of the Wait, Whaaat?podcast. Paula asked if she might accept Elaine's invitation and join Kristen during her attempt to contact Valon. Without hesitation, Kristen responded with an enthusiastic acceptance and sent back her address.

She asked Tony if he would quit early to accompany her to his gym for another shower. Despite Kristen's initial concerns, she had appreciated the women's locker room at Tony's temple of muscles and sweat, which was very clean and well-appointed. The sensation of being clean again was one that Kristen sincerely appreciated, particularly as she prepared to receive a guest.

When a tall, middle-aged Caucasian woman with dark wavy hair rang the doorbell shortly after eight o'clock that evening, Kristen couldn't help but giggle at the contrast of the woman's size to Elaine's.

"Paula?" Kristen asked warmly, opening her front door.

"Krissy?" the woman asked back with a mid-western soprano accent. She stood on Kristen's porch in a red plaid flannel shirt and black jeans, clutching to a large brown leather purse, almost as if she were relying on it as a source of safety.

"Come on in," answered Kristen warmly, unconcerned by assuming her father's private nickname for her.

"I'm so glad to meet you," said Paula. "Elaine shared with me the amazing story you told her, and I just had to meet you."

"I was surprised to hear from you," acknowledged Kristen, "particularly after Elaine's reception to my idea."

"Oh, she and I differ on many things, a Ouija board being one of them," said Paula with a chuckle. "I'm completely fascinated by the idea, but I've never had an opportunity like this - certainly not to use the board in a place where we know there's a spirit present."

Paula stopped, her eyes falling on the staircase blocked by the black and yellow 'Do Not Cross' police tape.

"I listened to the recording, but you didn't mention this," said Paula apprehensively.

"I believe I said the incident is under investigation by the police," Kristen answered pensively. "Ryan's death took place upstairs in the master bathroom, and the police have asked me to remain downstairs until they finish what they're doing."

"My God, I'm so very sorry for your loss," Paula said, lowering her voice.

Kristen mused that the woman might have just recognized for the first time that she wasn't attending a carnival haunted house.

"Thank you," she acknowledged gratefully.

"So, are we not going to use the board in your bedroom?" Paula asked, visibly perplexed by the notion.