Chapter Twenty-Eight

The sound of a woman's scream opened Tony's eyes at a start. He didn't understand where he was or what the noise was, other than the piercing shriek of a woman's voice.

"Tony! TONY!," the voice screamed in an absolute panic.

He felt adrenaline shoot into his bloodstream, and his heart pumped dangerously fast. In less than a second, he regained control of his limbs and shot up. Though Tony was in the dark, the lights from the hallway lit up the guestroom well enough that he could orient himself.

"Tony!" the voice cried a third time.

It was Kristen's voice, he realized, and he shot up out of bed, unaware that he wore only his jeans. He raced barefoot into the hallway, shaking off the bright contrast of the lamps but following the light toward the library, around the foyer and staircase until he pounded into the living room.

Tony narrowly avoided colliding with Kristen, who was crouched on the floor in front of what appeared to be a small explosion of broken glass and wood. Regaining his footing upon the debris, he took in the sight without thinking to first respond to Kristen's screams.

The coat closet door was wide open. The iron door handle appeared to be stuck into the wall as if it had been opened with such force that it shot into the oak paneling like an arrow. The lower slats of the door had been broken off, and its pieces lay scattered about the room. There were slivers of cracked glass that Tony thought had come from the closet lightbulb, now gone from its socket. But the glass was scattered along the living room and dining room, leading forward to the kitchen. From his vantage, Tony could see that the rear glass door was shattered, opening the kitchen to the backyard.

Kristen's hands were streaked with blood, and she suffered to keep from touching her face to muffle her deep, wailing sobs. At Kristen's knees, where she had fallen to the ground, was the lifeless body of Penny. The husky's silver-white face was stained with blood.

The End

Thank you for reading through this book!  If you enjoyed it, I would be grateful if you would leave a star-rating or review on its Amazon product page, or in the comments below

Thank you for reading through this book! If you enjoyed it, I would be grateful if you would leave a star-rating or review on its Amazon product page, or in the comments below. You may sign up to receive updates on my new books at www.authorjosephstone.com.

The next book, 'Valon' is available on WattPad or Kindle Unlimited for you to begin the third and last part of the 'Ghost of Cambria' trilogy.

Thank you for your support, Joseph