Chapter 2

I had no idea that she was that beautiful in person. I had seen her on billboards and music videos and watched her at award shows but I had never seen her this close. She had appeared to be free of make-up and her hair was in its natural curly state that the public rarely saw. Her pouty lips were bare and her doe like eyes somehow reminded me of Snow White.

 "If I would have known that you were having dinner tonight with your daughter I would have come by another time." I explained looking at her father, Evan who was dressed in a white tee and a pair of Adidas track pants.

 "Drake, don't worry about it. We were just finishing up. Have you met Nayomi?" He asked looking between us. She pushed the half full plate of food away from her and stood up to shake my hand.

 "Nice to meet you." She mumbled.

 "Pleasure's mine, really. I've been a fan of yours for a long time. You're very talented." I said.

 "That’s what they say." She said with a shrug of her shoulders.

 "Don't be so modest, Nay. You earned your first Grammy at 14. How many other musicians made that happen?" Evan said.

 "One." she said looking down at the dinner table before she made eye contact with us.

 "That's right. One, because my baby is talented." He said and she rolled her eyes walking out of the dining room.

 "I'm going upstairs..." she said rolling her eyes at her father's statement before running up the stairs. A moment later, one of the house keepers came by and cleared the table. Evan looked at me and clasped his hands together.

 "You ready to get to work?" he asked and I looked away from the marble spiral staircase that she ran up.

 I thought my house was huge. I guess being married to a supermodel and having a superstar daughter had its perks as well as being one of the highest paid producers in the country. I looked at all of the awards and photographs of Evan with people like Mariah Carey, TLC, Busta Rhymes, Pharrell, Pac, and Biggie. There was no doubt that he made his mark on the industry. I bopped my head to the different tracks that he played; all of them seemed to be genius. I tried to focus on the synthesizers and beats of the drum that blasted through the speakers.

 "How’s this sound for you man?" Evan asked and I looked up from my lap and out of his bay windows that seemed to overlook the beach. Nayomi passed the in house studio windows dressed in fuzzy white slippers that looked like a pair of boots. She had on a pair of spandex shorts and a white t-shirt and her curly hair sat in a bun on the top of her head. She glanced in here briefly showing off the black rimmed glasses that I'm certain no one knew she wore except for those closest to her, before looking back down at the spiral notebook that she held in her hand.

 "This shit dope Evan. For real. I'm gon' use this shit." I said. Evan looked through a stack of papers in his hands and pulled out the contract for this track and moving it to the side.

 "I try to give you what you ask for Drizzy. I don't produce nothing but greats for the greats, man. I thought you knew that shit." he said with a laugh. His cell phone vibrated on the soundboard and he glanced at it. I looked back at the window to see that Nayomi was now smoking something as she leaned against the bannister.