Chapter 3

I watched his chest rise and fall as he slept. His body was tangled in the chocolate brown sheets that he slept under and his long limbs replaced where my body once was. There was nothing more that I wanted other than to take off my clothes for work and climb back into bed next to him and snuggle my body close to his.

I knew that couldn’t happen.

Last night shouldn’t have happened.

We were supposed to be separated and somehow every now and then we’d find ourselves in each other‘s grasp tangled up in the sheets of a bed that we once shared. It was hard not to. No one knew of our situation except for everyone that worked closely to us and our lawyers. The only thing that kept that secret was a threat to ruin them financially. If the world were to know that one of the most successful models  turned CEOs in the country and one of the biggest rappers of the century so far were in the middle of a divorce it would turn our world upside down. Our world being Monet.

I thought that she would have been our band-aid. Something to take us back to the beginning. It worked for a little while but it only strained our relationship harder. It wasn’t that we didn’t love each other. I loved Aubrey to death. But, we definitely weren’t meant for “till death do us part”. We hurt each other way too often and fought way too much. We were both jealous and could be manipulative of each other’s emotions and therefore were unhealthy for each other. The idea of ever letting go would probably kill me inside but if it bought peace to our lives then maybe death and rebirth would be the best thing for us.

I slipped on my burgundy Michael Kors pumps and walked toward Aubrey placing my red lips on top of his forehead leaving a stain. I grabbed my purse as I walked towards the door and made sure to close it behind me to ensure that it wouldn’t slam. Walking down the stairs the smell of bacon and French toast filled my nose only causing my stomach to growl. Monet looked back at me as she put a forkful of food in her mouth. I smoothed out her wild coils with my hands and placed a kiss on top of her forehead as well.

“Good Morning baby.” I said.

“Good morning mommy. Are your nerves better?” she asked causing me to chuckle

“Much better honey. Thank you.” I said as I picked up a muffin from the bowl that sat in the middle of the table. I sat down next to her for a few moments and pulled her into my lap taking her away from her breakfast.  I rocked her slowly.

“I love you.” She said a small smile on her lips.

“I love you too.” I said. “Monet and me day this weekend?” I asked and she gave me an even bigger smile. “We’ll go get our hair and nails done, shopping. Then you can come with me to work for a little while. How does that sound?” I asked as I let her go.

“I’m so excited!” she squealed climbing back to her chair and going to finish her breakfast.

“Me too Princess. Just please be on your best behavior for Ms. Kay and in school, okay? Mommy or Daddy don’t want to get calls from school about you misbehaving. Do you hear me?” I asked a stern expression on my face. She looked down at her plate as she put more food in her mouth and nodded. “Good.” I said kissing the top of her head once more before grabbing my purse off of the kitchen counter and leaving the house.