Chapter 6

“Divorced Rue! They’re getting fucking divorced.” I said as I took a sip from the cheap bottle of Moscato that Rue bought over to my house. We were supposed to be sharing but I had claimed this particular bottle as my own. I walked past the mirror as I paced my house and saw that my eye make-up had been smudged from crying until Rue had gotten here. I hadn’t bothered to wipe my face clean when she let herself into my home with the spare key hiding in a rock on my front steps. I would now but to be honest I was far too drunk to even be bothered with caring about my raccoon eyes because as soon as Rue walked through my door with bottles and a remorseful look on her face my tears started to fall all over again as if I hadn't been crying for most of the week.

“I know Nay.” She said nodding from my couch. She sat curled up resting her head on the armrest. I took another large gulp of the bottle. “But—“

“And for that home wrecking slut! He can’t be serious. They can’t be serious. A damn baby. She’s pregnant with a damn baby.” I cringed at the idea of having a sibling 21 years younger than me. This baby might as well have been mine. “This must have been how Solange felt when she found out about her father being a home wrecking whore.” I slurred. I plopped my ass down on the couch next to Rue and she sighed pulling me into her lap. I wanted to cry so badly but I think the alcohol had my body dehydrated and I couldn’t bother to make any more tears tonight. “Mommy must be devastated.” I mumbled. 

“I know baby.” Rue said rubbing my arm. “But you’re mom she’s a big girl, you know. We’ve seen her deal with some horrible ass shit…” Rue said.

“I walked in to his office just as she picked up a damn vase to hurl at his head. I don’t know how well she wants to pretend to deal with this but she was three seconds away from sending him to a hospital. But then again, who can blame her…” I glanced at my phone and realized that my mother hadn’t called my phone like she had said she would. “She was supposed to call me, do you think I should call her Rue? What if something happened to Mommy? I haven’t heard from her  since she left Miami and she said she would call me.” I started to scroll for my mother’s number before Rue snatched the phone out of my hand. 

“You are not calling your mother while you sit here drunk. You will not be drunk dialing your mother. How about we do something else? How was your week, hun?” she asked and I looked over at her. 

“I bought a song from 40 for three thousand dollars.” I said and she gasped.

“Who the fuck is 40?” she asked.

“Noah, you know 40. Drake’s producer. He’s like his best friend. He’s a part of OVO. They’re the coolest people ever.” I said.

“You got to chill with OVO and you didn’t even invite me you fucking bitch.” Rue shrieked and I laughed.

“I didn’t mean to!” I said laughing. “It just happened. Drake saw me in the hallway and invited me to chill with the crew and I tried to say no but how could I? It was fucking Drake!” I continued to laugh.

“You met the man of your dreams this week and he just invited you to hang out with his friends? Only you…” she sighed.

“No he came to dad’s house last Sunday, ruined dinner and then dad ruined their studio session with a phone call and we got to talking about music and shit.” I shrugged my shoulders with a small smile.

“You got that look in your eyes, Nayomi. You got that damn twinkle.” She said and I scoffed

“I ain’t got no damn twinkle.” I felt myself blush. “I’ve just been drinking. I’m drunk and my eyes are just glossy.” I sighed standing up from the couch. “Get dressed, we’re going out.” I said stumbling towards the stairs with Rue on my tail and my bottle still in my hand. I walked into my room and went for the closet placing my phone on the dresser before pulling this soft silk nightie styled little black dress and tied my straight hair up into a half up, half down hair style. I could feel Rue looking at me. “What?”