Chapter 4

"Higher, Nayomi." My vocal coach said as I held a high note and my voice cracked. He signaled fir the pianist to stop and I cleared my throat.

"Do I look like Ariana Grande or Mariah Carey to you?" I asked rubbing my neck. Tiana shot me a look warning me to be on my best behavior.

"Ms. James, I'm simply doing my job. I heard from some people at Universal Records that they were thinking of extending your contract. They got a new writer that they want you to work with and the song sounded beautiful when she sang it." He said and I frowned.

"Well then she can sing it." I shrugged my shoulders and picked up my water taking a sip soothing my throat. "But, I'm not ruining my vocal cords for a single and I just put out an album. It's a dub for that.  I'm no soprano and I'm not going to pretend to be." I said and he rolled his eyes at me.

"I need ten, excuse me." He said to Tiana and he walked out of the room and the pianist followed suit.

"Nayomi..." Tiana sighed burying her face in her hands.

"I'm not being nice anymore, T. I'm on my way out the door anyway." I shrugged my shoulders drinking more of my water.

"Not when they want to keep you. Didn't you hear what he just said?" She asked.

"I heard him and that's nice. But on the real..." I said.

"So where are you going to go? Because right now, you don't seem to have the faintest clue..." Tiana sat back with her arms crossed over her chest and watched me. I shrugged my shoulders.

"What if I don't want to do this anymore?" I asked and Tiana laughed. I looked at her seriously and her amused gaze dropped.

"Are you serious?" She asked and I sighed.

"I... I don't know. I mean, I love music and I love singing but when I can't sing about shit that means something to me, I hate it. I spoke to Drake and he got me thinking." I said leaning on the piano.

"When did you speak to Drake?" She asked. "I didn't even know that you knew him..." she said.

"We met last night. He interrupted dinner and then he and dad were in the studio." I said.

"So you didn't even get to talk to your father?" She asked and I shook my head no.

"But I’m supposed to meet him at the studio after I leave from here.  He sent me this long bullshit ass ’I’m sorry we didn't talk' text this morning and asked me to meet up with him. To be honest I really don't want to hear what he has to say." I said. She sighed.

"Meet up with your father and talk about your next career move with him alright? He been around the industry longer than the both of us and I think some of his advice will help. Also hear your father out. You need to deal with him head on. Your parents may be dealing with their issues but no matter what happens between the two of them, he will always be your father." Tiana said. The doors to the practice studio opened and my vocal coach and pianist returned.