Chapter 1 (Rewritten)

a/n: I'm rewriting this whole story, so please be patient with me! Give it a chance, I wrote the original version when I was pretty young and I'm not happy with how it turned out so I hope you love the rewrite as much or even more!

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

New York City (A.P.'s POV)

As the sound of my heels clicking against the dirty Manhattan pavement filled my ears, I cursed myself for being late. Now of course I couldn't help that the subway car malfunctioned on my commute and I had to get off and take a cab the rest of the way. Feeling only slightly frazzled, the cool fall air wiped my hair around my face as I stepped into the New York Field Office.

"Morning Parrish." The security guard smiled at me, checking my badge and bag.

"Morning Ross, how are the kids?" I smiled, taking my purse as he hands it to me.

"Praying for the terrible 2s to end." He laughed, waving me off as he moved onto the next person. I raised my hand in a curt wave, chuckling.

Turning back towards the elevator, I suddenly felt another body bump into my own. I looked up in surprise, immediately apologizing before realizing who I ran into.

"Tom." I smiled, it had been a while since I'd seen him, and certainly under different circumstances.

"Adelaide. You look great, how've you been?" Tom smiles, pulling me into a hug. This was the first time I'd seen him at work, even though we've both worked for the FBI for years, we didn't have many run-ins. He's head of Special Operations, and even though I'm an SSA, his division took a clearance level I'd probably never see.

"Staying busy, you know how it goes." I smiled, almost sadly. I hadn't seen him since the funeral almost two years ago. He shared my somber smile, as if he was thinking the same thing, as if the mere sight of me was an instant reminder of the son he lost.

"Actually, I'm glad I ran into you, I was going to request you for a position that opened up." He said, causing my brows to furrow.

"Really? In what division?" I asked, somewhere between curiosity and shock.

"How about we discuss it tonight, over dinner with a friend of mine. He'll be able to give you a better idea of the position." Tom nodded, as if it was more of a request than a question, noticing we were both in a rush.

"Oh, ok sure. Text me and I'll be there, sorry I'm late for a meeting. It was nice to see you again." I smile, stepping into the elevator as he nods, returning the pleasantries.

BRPD (H.B.'s POV)

"Abraham, keep an eye on Hellboy, will you? I have some business to attend to in the city." Professor Broom instructed, slipping on his coat.

"Business? This late?" Abe asked, pressing his hand to the glass of his tank.

"I'm meeting Tom Manning and interviewing a friend of his to fill the liaison position." Broom explained, sending a disapproving glance towards me for scaring the last one into quitting.

"Ya know, if it's a friend of Manning I think we can go ahead and count him out now." I rolled my eyes, it's no secret that Manning and I don't exactly see eye to eye on most things, well, nearly all things.

"It's a young woman I believe, now I don't want to be late. Behave Hellboy." He said with an authoritative tone, exiting the library. Ever since I last snuck out to see Liz, I've been on house arrest.

"Don't get any ideas, Red." Abe said, making me wonder for a moment if he could read minds too.

"Shut up." I retorted, storming off back to the solace of my room.