Chapter Two

Unnoticed by Roel or Charles, Attila had witnessed that awkward exchange between them. Attila remembered how unenthusiastic Roel had seemed the day before, but he hadn't thought too much of it at the time. Now he was beginning to wonder if Roel's behavior had anything to do with Charles. Had they had some kind of falling-out recently? That couldn't be: they would all know about it if something like that happened. So, maybe something else had happened.

 "Have you noticed anything off about Roel lately?" Attila asked Falk.  

 "Roel?" Falk Maria Schlegel, the band's keyboardist, thought about it. "No, I haven't noticed anything." 

 "Okay. What about Charles?" 

 "Charles? No. Have you noticed anything weird going on?"

 "Well, not much," Attila admitted, "But I have a feeling there's something going on that we don't know about. Roel seemed like he was kind of miserable about something yesterday, but I hadn't thought much of it at the time. And now I just saw him and Charles together and things looked very awkward between them. It was like they didn't even know what to say to each other, you know?" 

 Attila thought Falk might tell him it was probably nothing, but he seemed interested. 

 "Do you think something could have happened between them we just don't know about?" he asked. "If something did, it would have to be something personal for them to keep completely quiet about it."

 "Yeah, it would, but that's just it; I have no idea what that would even be. Do you have an idea?" 

 Falk suddenly looked thoughtful. "There is one thing I have in mind. It might sound a little far-fetched, but it could be." 

~~~~~~

 That evening, when they all supposed to be getting ready for the concert, Falk asked Roel, "Are you okay? You seem a little down lately."

 Roel shrugged. "I'm good." 

 Falk and Attila glanced at each other. Attila thought that whatever Falk had in mind might not be a good idea, but he was curious himself, so he stayed quiet for the moment. 

 "Hey. Nothing bad has happened lately, right?" Falk asked. "You just don't seem like yourself today." He looked over at Attila. 

 "And I saw you with Charles earlier, and you seemed really awkward," Attila chimed in. "We were just wondering if you were okay." 

 Roel looked around. The three of them were alone, with no sign of Charles. He could trust them, couldn't he? 

 "Look, if I tell you guys this," he said, "You can't tell anyone, not even Charles or Matthew. I wasn't going to tell anyone, but I'll tell you if you can keep quiet." 

 "That...sounds really serious," said Falk. "What's going on, Roel? Are you in some kind of trouble?" 

 "No, I'm not in trouble." Roel sighed. "It's Charles, all right? I like him. No, I mean like him," he added when they looked confused. 

 "Oh." Falk seemed to get what he was saying. "And you're afraid Charles won't love you back, so you haven't said anything. How long has this been for?" 

 Roel shrugged again. "It's been awhile." 

 "Do you think there's any chance he'd feel the same way?" Attila asked. "I mean, have you tried finding out somehow?" 

 "He hasn't given me any sign that he does," Roel answered. 

 "And have you given him any?" Falk asked him. 

 "Well...no," Roel admitted. "But I don't want to if he isn't going to like me back. Imagine how weird-" 

 "Then that's your problem," Falk cut in. "You're too afraid to take a risk to find out. There's a small possibility, right?" 

 "Yeah, I guess, but-" 

 "Then we have to find out if it's true." 

 "Falk, you mean Roel has to find out if it's true, right?" Attila asked. 

 "Yes, but we're obviously going to have to help him." 

 There was a knock on the door, and Matthew poked his head in. "Hey, are you guys ready yet?" 

 "We'll be there in minute," said Attila. 

 "Okay." Matthew at each of them in turn. "Is everything okay in here?"

 "Yes, everything's fine," Falk answered quickly. "Just give us a few more minutes." 

 "Okay, then." Matthew closed the door, and they waited until they were sure he'd walked away to start talking again. 

 "What do you guys think I should do, then?" Roel asked. 

 "Well, if you're going to be this miserable and hopeless about it, someone else will have to try to find out about Charles' feelings," said Falk. "I think I know who might be able to, if I can convince him to do it for us."