Chapter Four

Matthew spent most of the next day trying to figure out what exactly Falk wanted him to do. He knew the main idea was to find out if Charles possibly had a thing for Roel, but he didn't know how he was supposed to go about finding out if it was true. Matthew didn't think it was too likely; Charles had never given any notion that he liked Roel as more than friends. But then again, Matthew had had no idea that Roel liked Charles as more than friends until Falk told him about it. Maybe it was true, but first he had to figure out how he was going to get it out of Charles. 

 At their next show, a couple of hours before they had to start, Matthew was sitting Charles while the latter was tuning up his guitar. Matthew still had his phone in his pocket, but it had been pretty quiet, so he was a bit startled when he heard he had a message. It was a text from Falk. 

 DID YOU FIND OUT ANYTHING YET???

 "Anything important?" Charles asked. 

 "Nope." Matthew put his phone back in his pocket. "I'll put it away before the show starts." 

 He couldn't see the other guys, but he knew they had to be around somewhere, waiting to hear if he found out anything. This whole thing felt completely ridiculous, but they were apparently relying on him to find out the truth. So, how to bring such a thing up in a conversation? 

 "Feels like things have been going pretty well lately," he began. 

 Charles nodded in agreement. "Yep." 

 "I mean, the band's been doing well, everyone's been getting along fine. I'm glad Roel's been able to fit in well with everything since he joined us." 

 Charles looked up at him. "Why wouldn't he? He's been great." 

 "Yeah, exactly. I think he's a great fit for us." 

 "Yeah, I'd say so. He's been cool." 

 Matthew's phone went off again. It was another text from Falk. 

 Are you finding out anything or are you just ignoring me? 

 "You know, I just remembered something," Matthew said, getting up. "See you in a minute." 

~~~~~~ 

 "I don't understand him," Falk declared, putting his phone down. "I just want some kind of answer." 

 "Well, maybe he's just trying to do what you asked him to do," Attila pointed out. "You wouldn't want Charles to see your semi-threatening texts, would you?" 

 "I am not being threatening!" 

 "Falk, you do sound a little threatening in those texts. Matthew already said he'd try to find out what's going on in Charles' head, so let him figure it out." 

 Roel was sitting in a corner, listening to this conversation. He felt so stupid just sitting there like that. This idea of Falk's sounded like it was going to be a complete train wreck. Why did he even tell anyone in the first place? Why not just find out on his own if Charles reciprocated his feelings? 

 But on the other hand, he knew Falk and Attila were just trying to help in their own insane way. Matthew was, too, although he seemed less enthusiastic than the other two. 

 "Do you guys really think this is going to work?" Roel asked. 

 "If Matthew doesn't mess everything up, then it should," Falk answered. "If he finds out Charles likes you back, if there's any chance at all, go for it." 

 Roel nodded. "Yeah, you're right. I should." 

 Matthew came in and closed the door. "Falk, why would you start texting me why I'm in a conversation with Charles?" 

 "Oh, forget those," Falk snapped. "What did you find out?"

 Matthew turned to Roel. "He thinks you're a great fit for the band, and he also thinks you're cool." 

 Roel sat up straight. "He does?"

 "Yep, but I didn't find out anything else. I guess I can try again tomorrow, but if I keep doing this, I'm gonna start looking suspicious." 

 "It sounds like a start," Attila suggested. "Maybe in another conversation." 

 "Yeah, maybe. Now, come on, get moving. Charles is gonna start wondering what we're all doing. He's not stupid, you know," Matthew pointed out. "He'll figure out you two are up to something." 

 "No, he won't," Falk replied. "He wouldn't think you're spying on him for any reason. That's why I asked you to do it." 

 "Matthew has a point, though," said Roel. "Let's get ready, guys." 

 Roel had a bad feeling that telling his friends about his feelings wasn't such a good idea after all.