Chapter 1

Year: 1582

Year: 1582

Assassin

In a cold sweat, I jolted awake. My silver bullet eyes opened wide piercing through the darkness. Distant screams and the scraping of clashing swords faded in my ears. Images of the villagers' homes burnt to the ground. The smell of fresh blood lingered in my nostrils. A recurring nightmare that haunted me when I closed my eyes. No matter how many times it happened it still held control over my unconscious mind.

I glanced out the single window in my room that allowed the glowing moonlight to enter. A tired deep sigh escaped my lips as my fingers combed through my black disheveled hair. I stood to my feet stretching out my arms to pull my stiff muscles back into motion. Quickly I dressed in all-black garb shrouded with a hooded cloak of the same color. To disguise my identity I wore a black fitted mask against my face, leaving only my eyes exposed.

Eager to not waste another second I exited the quiet dark room that led to the front entrance where an older man sat, nodding off to sleep. Reaching into my pocket I laid a few golden coins on the counter to pay for my lodging.

The full moon hung boldly, giving a somber glow to the starry sky as the streets lay empty and silent. The townspeople slept warm in their beds unaware of the danger that lurked in the shadows of the night. Soft whips of the wind whistled, as the dust particles swirled about the dirt road. The tail of my hooded cloak flowed slowly behind me as I ventured north of the town. There awaited a mysterious man in a vacant alley. We would meet but exchange no words.

He discreetly handed me a sealed letter with the target's location inscribed on the outside. After a nod of agreement and an exchange of coins, we went our separate ways. Now with my new mission in hand, I headed towards the outskirts of the town. Placing two fingers to my mouth I blew out a high-pitched whistle. Suddenly the sound of horse hooves in the distance galloped towards me.

A large black stallion approached me as its long shiny mane bounced with grace. I gave it a soothing pat before mounting him. "Yah!" I shouted as I took off through the gate of the town entering into the open field of Zanevia. The kingdom of the most powerful Kings of my generation and the ones before me, but also the most hated. I took the mission out of interest, but mainly to get closer to the King. I wouldn't dare pass up the chance to get my revenge, even if it meant breaking one of my codes.

Zanevia's field was the central region that led to all the prominent locations of the kingdom. Filled with farmland, villages, and marketplaces, but most of all it's a world-renowned ship port that's connected to the endless northern Sea.

Traveling at a fast pace, I took a detour and headed for a nearby weapon shop to restock before pursuing my task. Approaching the small tent of wares and weapons I was greeted by a young boy with sand-blonde hair and dull hazel eyes. His clothes were worn and his body was thin assuming the cause from the lack of food.