Chapter 2

Adeliza:

Adeliza:

I gazed out into the symphony of warm hues that stretched across the horizon, singing the day to sleep while welcoming the calm of the night. The cool breeze blew against my face as I rested my elbow on the stone railing of my balcony, propping my cheek against my hand. I deeply sighed as my shoulders slightly slumped. The tight uneasy feeling in my chest still lingered.

Today's festival was something I should've looked forward to. Instead, I felt nothing but pressure and dread. Was I truly ready to take the throne? I knew this day would come but not so suddenly. My father wasn't getting any younger but he wasn't at death's door either, so why was I being summoned to become Queen?

Ruling the kingdom I loved wasn't the duty that scared me the most. It was being married to a man of my father's choosing. Everything about this felt so rushed and suspicious. It was all happening so fast that it made my head spin with anxiety.

I never even kissed a boy; not alone being wed to one, especially someone I didn't know. Of course, I would want to fall in love one day and be courted naturally. However, I would much rather pace myself for something as complicated as love. There was no sense in daydreaming of a knight in shining armor coming to save me. I had to face the grim reality that it would never happen that way for me. Being born into a royalty family such as mine didn't give me any other options.

My whole life was planned out before I even got the chance to decide for myself. At my age, I wished to see the world and all it had to offer. To explore my youth and be carefree. But my father nullified any of those dreams before they could even be imagined.

On the outside, everything appeared picture-perfect. Yet it was all smoke and mirrors, and my Father...the illusionist. We were just all his little pawns in his twisted game of greed and power. I never felt like his daughter; only a tool to get what he wanted. I sighed again, trying to force the negative thoughts out of my head and be optimistic. Maybe the man chosen for me will be the opposite of my father. Someone kind, loving, and trustworthy. Yet I wouldn't want to get my hopes up just to be disappointed. If only there was a way I could fulfill my duties to my kingdom and be free from his grasp. Instead of being his puppet while he pulled the strings from behind the curtains.

At times it felt like I had no way of escape, and no one to turn to. Nonetheless, I did have my faith which enabled me to endure some of the darkest hours of my life. It also gave me the courage to look after the people my father coldly turned a blind eye to. So I made a vow to do what I could despite the fact the King wouldn't hesitate to execute them without a fair trial.

"Your Highness." I heard the soft timid voice behind me speak. Retrieving myself from my thoughts I turned around. "I've brought what you requested." The young servant said in a hushed tone as if she worried someone would hear. I nodded with a thank you as I stepped into my room closing the balcony door.

"You can set it over there." I gesture to my wardrobe armoire. She quickly complied before asking if I needed anything else. I gave her a thankful smile as she turned to exit my room."Lydia?" I spoke softly with a hint of soberness. "Yes, Ma'am," She answered me tentatively.