Chapter 3

Liza:

I didn't have much time, so I needed to move expeditiously. I hurried to my wardrobe pulling out what Lydia brought me before she turned in for the night. It was a plain long-sleeved dark green dress, with a hooded shroud. I quickly got dressed, pulling my hair back before covering my head. To help keep myself warm I wrapped a matching scarf around my neck and mouth to shield me from the night's cool air.

I was certain no one would recognize me; hoping to blend in with the dark surroundings. I haven't been back to that particular area since first meeting Lydia. Once I convinced my father I wanted to choose my servants and maids it was easy to slip her in as one of the candidates. It was either that or she would be thrown out of the castle as an intruder or worse. However, when she found out I was the King's daughter it took a lot of convincing to persuade her to stay. Unfortunately, I couldn't blame her. I didn't want to be near my father any more than she did.

Yet, when she finally decided that my intentions were genuine we became instant friends. I quickly learned many things about her background, but the main thing that stood out was her brother. They had gotten separated between two orphanages, and the night I found her she was living on the streets, searching for him. It's been three years since then and the unbearable longing and sadness in her eyes grows more evident each passing day.

That's when I knew I had to make this a personal task to find him and reunite them together. Although, I had very little information to go off on I still had to try. The only specifics she could tell me were that they were identical twins. Which meant he was fourteen years old and had curly brown hair and matching chestnut eyes.

Thankfully, I had already familiarized myself with the neglected parts of my city so there was no concern of becoming lost. I've been sneaking out, taking alms to the poor since I was strong enough to safely climb down my bedroom balcony.

However, things have become more dangerous over the years. Especially since the Kingdom is wealthy, sovereign, and prominent. Drawing all types of attention and many enemies of my father. Although no one dared to rise against him out of fear, it was evident they would strike if the opportunity ever presented itself. That is why I had to be extra cautious not to get caught outside the castle. Even though my people may not have ill feelings toward me I'm sure there were a few who would use me to get to him. Unfortunately for them, it would be a wasted attempt since he didn't love me at all.

Bringing my focus back to my task I was careful not to trip over the skirt of my dress as I climbed down to the ground. My eyes were fixated on the distant forest in front of me as I scanned the area for guards. Once the coast was clear I ran to my horse Lydia took from the stable for me. Quickly I unfasten the rope that held it to a tree before mounting her. The brisk flow of the wind blew through my hair as I dashed off at full speed onto the forest trail.

Now with the castle far behind me, a wave of nostalgia hit me as my eyes were welcomed by the dreadful sight of the slums. The King treated these parts of the kingdom like they didn't exist. He would continue to ignore them as long as they remained unseen and suffered in silence. It was his cruel way of showing them mercy.

Once I secured my horse safely in the woods I made my way to the end of the forest. Finally, entering the village I gripped my scarf that covered my mouth as I dashed towards the side of a building. Pressing my back against the stone wall I peeked around the corner to see what lay ahead. I didn't want to bump into any trouble; so I tried my best to remain unnoticed.