Chapter 5

Run... run... just run away! The frantic thoughts in my head urged me to obey but my legs would not move. Yet, my mouth began to speak on its own accord before my mind could formulate the words. "Why..." My timid tone questioned. The masked man's brows creased as his steel grey eyes shot through mine like daggers. He seemed obscured by my unexpected query. So, I gained the courage to speak again, clarifying my statement.

"Why did you slay those men?" I finished not allowing my gaze to travel behind him to the gruesome sight that lay bare and uncensored. His eyes narrowed slightly as he stared at me like he was completely addled by my question.

"What do you suppose I should've done instead?" His deep raspy voice muffled through his mask with a hint of curiosity. I paused to gather my thoughts as I carefully selected my words in fear of disrupting his calm mood. The fact that this man just single-handedly slaughtered five treacherous pirates without even breaking a sweat had me mentally scolding myself as to why I didn't take his advice and run while there was still a chance. Nevertheless, I somehow felt responsible for the lives that were mercilessly taken. Would he have killed them if I wasn't there? I quietly sighed turning my attention back to him as he patiently waited to hear my explanation.

"Well... couldn't you have just captured them? Maybe then they would've had the chance to think over their actions and have remorse. But instead, you took their lives, leaving them no chance of redemption."

My assertion was audacious despite the harsh glare I was receiving. He didn't care to hide his disagreement with my opinion. "I eliminated the men that were going to do much worse than simply kill you...but you're lecturing me?" He sounded baffled... amused even, but it was hard to decipher without seeing his entire face. However, my worries quickly returned when he suddenly closed the gap between us causing me to pace backward countering every step he took. I found myself cornered into the stone wall leaving me no place to run or hide.

The silent dark alley grew colder as his intimidating presence blocked my view from anything else. I felt so small against his overbearing stature as he stood mere inches away from me. He completely ignored my uncomfortable body language that said he was invading my personal space. I wanted to push him away but comparing his solid and strong physique to mine my attempt would be futile.

"The only redemption they deserve is death." His stoic and emotionless tone declared. The rhythm of my heart escalated from his harsh response that expressed no kind of resentment for his actions. I felt helpless and overpowered by the way his silver eyes seared into mine like a glowing branding iron.

My knees wanted to buckle from the heavy weight of anxiety, crushing me with every breath. I couldn't take the anticipation any longer. I needed to know if he was going to kill me or let me go. Nervously I bit my bottom lip as I struggled to speak without a tremble in my voice.

"And me...what kind of redemption would you say I deserve?" The deep questionable hum that vibrated beneath his mask caused knots to form in the pit of my stomach. Was that an answer... or was he taunting me? I had to distract myself so I wouldn't panic and do something to get myself killed. Even if that was his plan from the start I didn't want to do anything to expedite it.

With his unwelcoming proximity, I couldn't help but notice the small features of his appearance that were not hidden by his disguise. From beneath his hooded cloak, jet-black strands of his hair loosely hung above his full dark brows that seemed to stay slightly furrowed. His long raven lashes perfectly contrasted against his chromatic gray eyes. The longer I gazed into them the more strikingly familiar they became. His eyes... why do I get the feeling I've seen them before?

Now that my focus was losing sight of the apparent danger I was in... my curiosity took control. A brilliantly dumb idea came to mind. If I was going to be killed I at least wanted to know by whom. Without even taking into account what his response may be, I reached up with a hesitant hand. My fingers cautiously glided toward his mask as I gripped the rim of the fabric. The subtle warmth of his steady breaths blew against my palm, sending chills down my spine. He seemed completely unfazed by my actions.

He was calm... too calm.

I cautiously peeked at his expression. That's when I noticed the unexpected change in his cold empty gaze. Did he want to reveal his identity to me? I thought trying to understand why he hadn't stopped me. Could it be because I wouldn't live long enough to tell me what I discovered? Regardless, there was no turning back now.

I took a deep breath, exhaling slowly as I prepared myself. Right when I felt the courage to follow through a sudden flash of a flame caught our attention. He immediately stepped back causing me to lose my grip as he turned in the direction of the light coming down the alley. The familiar voice that called out to me snatched my attention as he discreetly faded into the darkness."Liza!... Liza!" The light of the torch came closer, allowing me to match the voice I recognized to the face I knew."Lydia," My eyes rounded with surprise."Oh, Thank God!" She shrieked as she threw her arms around me. My eyes instantly scanned around us to see if the mysterious man still lingered. Instead, I caught a brief glimpse of the tip of his black cloak fluttering against the wind before disappearing into the shadows of the rooftop."What are you doing here?" I asked returning her embrace feeling relieved that he was gone. It was one thing for me to be in danger, but it was another when it came to Lydia's safety.

"I came as soon as I could. While I was preparing for bed in the servant quarters I overheard some of the other maid's gossiping. Tonight is what they call the reaping. It's when pirates come to collect slaves for trade. They usually target the poorest areas to keep a low profile. I immediately rushed back to your chambers hoping to catch you before you were gone but unfortunately, I was too–" Her brown eyes grew in size as she peered over my shoulder. Her face lost its color like she had seen a ghost. "My Lord!" She breathed taking in the gut-wrenching sight at the end of the alley."Who or what on earth did this?" The look of horror and fear painted her face as she glued her eyes to mine not wanting to have a second taste of the sickening site. It crossed my mind to tell her of my life-threatening and infelicitous encounter, but I quickly ruled against it.

Her ignorance of tonight's events may serve her well. Rather than put her in unnecessary danger. Besides, it would only make her worry more for the safety of her brother. In which I had no intentions of giving up my vow to find him.

Even if that meant having to stare death in the face again. It wasn't the thrill of adventure I sought, but the justice that needed to be served. My father couldn't care less what happens to the innocent people of this city. But I for one would not stay silent or remain hidden.

We needed a light in the darkness of this cruel nation. Those without hope had to know someone out there still cared. I could feel the same passion my mother had burn within me like a consuming fire. I intended to never let anything or anyone put that fire out. Even if that meant placing my own life in danger. I wouldn't stop until I knew I did everything in my power to right the wrongs of my father and those alike.

What I sought to accomplish seemed like a formidable task to achieve alone. It was not something that would happen overnight. But everything that happened tonight reminded me of my mother's encouraging words that in Christ all things were possible. So I told myself to take things one day at a time and follow His guidance.

I hastily took Lydia by the hand and led the way out of the forbidden dark alley. I could feel her eyes on me, as she eagerly waited for me to answer her question or at least explain how I made it out alive. I had no intention of lying to her, yet I couldn't tell her too many details.

Once we made our way out of the alley I felt the overwhelming sensation that someone was watching me. I paused standing in silence as the cool breeze flowed through my hair as I looked up. My eyes focused on the empty rooftop as my mind overflowed with unfulfilled questions.

I felt the pace of my heart quicken for a moment as I did my best to sound calm, and convincing to her lingering question. Giving her the safest and most honest answer I could think of I spoke blatantly.

"I don't know, I didn't see his face."