Chapter 6

Assassin

"My word... if it isn't the devil himself." I heard a man say as I pressed through the crowd of people in the town. I instantly recognized his voice but continued to walk ahead with my focus on the path before me. The young man called out to me again despite my attempts to completely ignore him. I clicked my tongue and mumbled under my breath, realizing he wasn't going to give up. I didn't want to be bothered. Nonetheless, I reluctantly slowed my pace allowing him to catch up to me.

"I knew it was you. You're the only person I know who wears black from head to toe like an angel of death." The well-dressed dark blonde-haired man said with an amused grin."What is it you want Victor? I don't have time to toil with you.." I expressed in a flat tone."My, aren't you the pleasant one! So...who is the lucky soul this time to die by your magnificent hands?"

"You, if you don't get out of my way." I spat out in a nonchalant, yet sarcastic tone.

"Oh! feisty are we. I love it when you talk dirty." Victor replied jokingly wiggling his eyebrow. I roughly brushed him aside as I continued to travel forward. I hoped he would take the hint and leave me be but that didn't stop him from following me.

"So much time has passed since the last time we saw each other and this is the treatment you give your beloved brother?" I remained silent as I kept my eyes forward not allowing him to distract me further from my goal. Yet I couldn't stop the lingering annoyance that stirred inside me from his irritating persistence.

"Come now, don't you miss me the tiniest bit." He said pinching his two fingers together in front of my face with a sad pout. I cut my eyes at him with a dark glare but before I could spew out my deadly threats. Multiple women started to squeal at the sight of him, calling out his name and waving their handkerchiefs. The soft red hue of the lit lanterns that were strung from building to building glowed against the cobblestone path as we passed through the entertainment district.

"Hello, my precious kittens! Do not fret I will visit soon." He announced theatrically with a blow of a kiss, causing one of the girls on a balcony to fan her face like she was about to faint.

"I see you haven't changed. I said plainly not bothering to acknowledge the women calling out to me from the side.

"I should say the same to you." A mischievous smile graced Victor's face as he lowered his voice to a whisper, leaning in closer.

"Actually, my brother you seem a bit more uptight than usual, when was the last time you—" My feet stopped short in my tracks as I slowly turned my head while narrowing my eyes which sparked with a devilish glint.

"Finish that sentence and it may be your last." Panic arose on his face, but quickly diminished as he responded. "Such a waste... such a pity. You really need to learn to relax more.. Maybe then your attitude would be sweet instead of sour." Victor sighed. Discreetly I retracted my dagger from my sleeve causing him to quickly wave his hands in surrender.

"I was only making a suggestion... It's not like I would actually pay for it either. He declared as he flirtatiously twinkled his fingers at the group of promiscuous women standing outside the brothel, then he added. "For me, I simply enjoy their friendly company nothing more."

"And I pity the poor girl who has to put up with you," I said not even trying to hide the discontent in my tone. I could tell he felt a bit offended by my sarcastic remark by the way he fired back causing a smirk to form on my lips that would go unseen.

"What is it that you're implying? I am a man of class and elegance unlike you who waltz around with that dirty old rag over your face. You would be more approachable if people could actually see you. Instead of your appearance screaming I'll murder you where you stand."