Chapter 17

Alexis' POV:

Three weeks later, the dreadful day came. The day all knew was coming but refused to accept it.

That day, Mike received a call during our training. It was from the hospital.

He answered the phone and spoke to the person on the other side.

After he heard what he was being told, his eyes widen and he looked at us for a split second before turning away, talking to the person on the other side.

After what seemed like forever, he finally hung up and turned to us with a defeated look on his face.

"Mike? What happened? Is everything okay?" I asked.

He looked at me and opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out. He shook his head and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Mike! What is it?" Alex asked.

He took a deep breath and said, "Your mother.... She's not doing well at all."

At this, I stumbled back.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, although I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"We have to go there. Now." He said and grabbed his car keys and pulled both of us out the gym.

He drove as fast as he could to get there. When he did, Alex and I wasted no time in getting out and rushing into the building.

We both ran down the familiar path in the hospital until we reached her room.

I opened the door to find chaos inside.

Doctors and nurses were rushing here and there to make sure she was okay. She was laying in bed with her eyes closed looking as peaceful as ever.

Doctor Ava noticed us and took us outside to talk to us. By that time, Mike had also arrived.

"I'm not supposed to be out of the room but I know you have questions." She said as she pulled us out of the room.

"What happened?" Alex asked.

She sighed and explained, "I don't know. A nurse went in to check on her and make sure that everything was okay. But she realized that she was not waking up. She pressed the emergency button and we called you as soon as we could."

"Can you do anything to help her?" I asked.

"We're doing the best we can but for now, you all have to stay here." She said and went back inside.

I sat on a vacant chair and put my head in my hands.

Alex sat down next to me. He put his arm around me and pulled me to his chest.

I didn't dare shed a tear from my eyes. I had to be strong. She'd want me to be strong.

An hour later, Doctor Ava came out of the room and gave us a sad smile.

"She's okay for now. But she doesn't have much time left. You can see her." She said and walked to God knows where.

Alex and I stood up and went inside her room. She was laying on the same bed only this time she had her eyes open.

She saw us and gave the two of us a weak smile, despite her condition.

Seeing her smile, which was probably the last time I'd see her smile, I burst into tears and ran towards her.