Introduction

The evening was growing much quieter as I walked a heavily wooded forest

The evening was growing much quieter as I walked a heavily wooded forest. Some called this ancient place The Bellowing. "The Forest" is a worthy enough title in my book. It is nothing more than large redwood trees. The mothers and fathers of my country, Tarrendale, use the term "The Bellowing" as a type of folklore to keep the children out of the way of Geraim's nasty forest warriors.

Geraim is a "ruler" in the sense that he practically took over several villages in the northern part of Tarrendale.

Geraim couldn't rule a country if he tried. The only reason he's able to maintain his status, is because he is what is known as a 'supermage.' Supermages have access to a multitude of spells and powers. They have the natural affinity to learn all four of the basic elemental spell groups; fire, water, air, and earth, as well as the ability to learn alternative spell types such as protection, flight, and necromancy spells. He's powerful, and the people are too scared to fight back.

The only reason Geraim has listed me as a criminal is because I'm the one warrior who got away. I was a recruit.

I simply couldn't stand Geraim's abuse towards his warriors and soldiers. So I left. And he put a hefty price in return for my head. Dead or alive.

Ever since, I've been on the run. Run in after run in with Geraim's guards have trained me well. Combat is something I am now very skilled in, many are better than me, I admit, but over the years I have become much better than I was before.

Normal people, like me, have one element that comes naturally to them, or have one alternative spell type, or are a healer of some sort. Geraim has all powers. Rarer powers include but are not limited to; shapeshifting, size reduction/increasing, or enchanters. Some people are born with more than one affinity, but not many.

It is possible to learn other things despite what you are born with the affinity towards, but it proves to be difficult.

I am an enchanter, so I have a lot of gear, and no power that comes directly from my body. Sometimes this is a disadvantage, other times, it is a good thing. For example, backpacks with infinite space sell for good money.

Yesterday, I was traveling in the forest alone, when I was ambushed by a group of Geraim's warriors. With my enchanted equipment, I was strong enough to dissmiss the lot of them without much trouble. However, I still did take a little injury.

A particularly strong warrior sent a sword cutting across my stomach, which undeniably, was painful. There was simply too many of the warriors to come out of the fight clean.

I was not expecting an ambush from Geraim, especially not while the Great War was going on. But alas, he was still after my head. At this point, I don't think I'll ever escape.

With each passing second of walking, my breathing was growing more and more labored, more and more difficult. Their sword had a sharp blade, that's for sure.

I had two choices.

I either take my chances and head for the nearby city of Kritiks, or try and patch up my hefty battle wound myself. Both choices were risky. If I go to the city, I'd have to walk another mile or two, and when I get there? Who knows. They could dissmis my pleas for help, or ask for a hefty sum in return for my healing. The city-folk could even turn me into Geraim's guards, if they recognized me, that is.

And if I try and heal myself? I have a high risk for infection. I'm no healing mage. I could risk not finding food, or having Geraim find me once again.

I had a choice, and I had to chose an option soon.

...

This is your first choice. Choose one of the following;

Go to Kritiks     OR    Heal Myself

Remember, if you enjoyed this segment, give it a vote, or a comment! Feedback is appreciated! Much love, -L

If you said Go to Kritiks, go to
Chapter One - A

If you said Heal Myself, go to
Chapter One - B