𝐏𝐔𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐕𝐄𝐑. 1 | monsters under the lights

***

         ***

𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐏𝐔𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐕𝐄𝐑.

𝐀𝐕𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐙𝐎𝐍.

***

SAMPLE CHAPTER

***

Lips stained a shade of blood red, sepia tendrils that tumbled down to the waist of a slender frame, vibrant hazel eyes that promised a taste of heaven and sin, and seduction laced with death running through her veins. That was how people often described me if they managed to survive long enough to tell their story.

I was their favorite dream and their worst nightmare. Some called me death incarnate, others would say I was the devil himself. And whilst my nails were coated in the same blood red liquid that I painted across my lips; I was neither of those things. However, it was amusing. I could see why my mother enjoyed her job so much. It was exhilarating. I sipped on my mocktail, eyeing a man in a navy suit, his laughter contagiously spreading smiles to those around him.

I tilted my head to the side, calculating every move I could potentially make and then the following moves afterwards. My brain churned as I identified all the ways I could kill him and all the ways I could make it an seem like an accident. He got up from his seat with a woman, whose face was excessively caked in layers of makeup, clinging onto his arm. She wore an overly enthusiastic smile, which only told me that his money was what triggered her happiness. Whether he knew this or not, he didn't care, as he smirked whenever she fawned over him.

That was when I decided to make my move.

I downed the rest of my drink, sliding the glass back to the bartender along with a tip, before gathering my evening gown so it wouldn't get stuck as I slipped off the stool. It was almost too easy. As soon as I walked past, I grabbed his attention. Pretending as if I had no interest in him, I purposely made sure our arms softly brushed against each other when I sauntered by. The whine from his date told me that she was deprived of his focus.

I smirked.

"Excuse me!"

I stopped, before deliberately taking my time to glance over my shoulder. The woman was no longer standing by him. My reply was as sultry and innocent as my smile. "Yes?"

His eyes drank in my appearance, from the way my fitted crimson gown hugged my chest to the scandalous slit on the side, revealing my tanned legs from the scorching sun in Thailand last weekend. His dark eyes widened, and my lips twitched.

I arched a brow. Typical. "Was there anything you wanted?"

As if a cold bucket of water had been tipped over him, he blinked out of his starstruck spell, and I was disappointed to see it partially disappear. Adjusting his posture, loosening his tie, he coughed awkwardly. The businessman persona returned quickly, but his eyes still looked like they were in a trance, holding the darkest of intentions.