Chapter Seven: He's Back?

We stood outside the courtroom, talking to Franziska and waiting for the Judge to call us into the courtroom. Phoenix had the evidence that I had found, as well as some evidence that he and Maya had found yesterday. He wasn't allowed to tell me, however, what their evidence was, as knowing what evidence they had could cause a witness to want to change their testimony in favor of someone.

Franziska was actually exceedingly nervous, but we couldn't figure out why. She knew that Phoenix was a good defense attorney. I couldn't see why she could doubt that we could win this case. In my opinion, it would make it even better if we could go up against Winston Payne. He wasn't the best prosecutor, and that would make it way more easy to beat him and prove Franziska's innocence.

Phoenix must have picked up on Franziska's sudden jitters, as well.

"Franziska," he began. "Why are you so nervous? You know from past experience that I'm a pretty good defense attorney."

"Yes, I know." She mumbled, almost as if she was ashamed to admit it. "It's just...we're in trouble, Wright."

"Trouble?" Phoenix asked. "What do you mean?"

"Don't ask me how," Franziska starts. "But...but the prosecutor...you know the prosecutor."

"Um, I wouldn't be surprised if I did know the prosecutor. I've defended against quite a few."

"No." She said. "No. You don't want to go against this prosecutor again, Wright."

"Why?" Phoenix asked. "Spit it out, Franziska. Who's prosecuting this case?"

Franziska looked down at the floor and said, in the smallest voice possible, "my father."

It was as silent as Gourd lake had been before the murder six years ago.

"Your...your father?!!!" I exclaimed. "Manfred Von Karma??? How? He's supposed to be in jail!!!"

"Piper." Franziska seemed to notice me for the first time since she and Phoenix had begun talking. "Oh dear...if he found out that you're here...why, I'm not sure he even knew you existed...that was just what your father wanted after...but now, he...oh dear." She said again. I've never seen Franziska this anxious.

"No matter how he got out of jail." Phoenix said. "This isn't good. Von Karma- er, no offense to you, Franziska, but Manfred Von Karma has conjured up phony evidence in nearly every trial that he's prosecuted, and he doesn't care what he has to do to get a guilty verdict..." he sighed. "Apparently he'd even be willing to send his own daughter to the slammer just to keep his record spotless."

"This is only your second case against him, Phoenix." I reminded him. "And during your first one, you nearly lost."

"Don't remind me, Piper." He groaned. "You're making me all the more anxious."

"Order!!!" The judge exclaimed. I looked at Phoenix and Franziska, and gave an encouraging, but also weak, smile before following Gumshoe into the courtroom.

Manfred Von Karma sat in the prosecution area, looking like a ghost, with his pale skin and silver hair. He sent some sort of wave of uneasiness through the room, and I knew that this definitely was not going to be an easy trial. Even the judge seemed to be scared of Von Karma, as he kept adjusting his tie just to have something to do, and his hands were almost shaking as he held the gavel...that's reassuring...

I took my seat beside Gumshoe, where the witnesses sat before taking the stand. Looking up at the judge, I watched him bang his gavel twice before saying,

"The trial of Franziska Von Karma will now come to order." He said. He then turned towards Manfred. "Is the prosecution ready?"

Manfred didn't say anything for a minute. He stood there, his hand on the desk. His eyes were closed, and he was breathing slowly and deeply, his fingers slightly tapping on the desk. If you didn't know any better, you could have mistaken him for a statue.

After what felt like forever, he said, in a soft but gravelly voice, "Let's get this over with." Rude much?

The judge didn't seem fazed by what he said, more so he looked relieved. I couldn't blame him; Manfred was in a better mood than he was most of the time. He wasn't yelling at anyone...yet.

The judge then turned towards Phoenix. "Is the defense ready?" He asked.

"Ready, your honor." Phoenix nodded.

And then, the next words the judge said were always the words that basically started the whole trial.

"The prosecution may call its first witness."

*bang bang*

It's time to prove a rival innocent.