Chapter twenty-eight: The Note

(Sorry that this chapter's so short.)

Maya gaped at the ring, and then looked at the note. She looked at my father, and asked,

"Mr. Edgeworth, could...would you mind reading this for me? I don't wanna read it myself." He nodded, and she handed him the folded up piece of paper. Unfolding it, my father read,

"Maya,

If you're reading this, then I'm probably not able to ask you this face-to-face. And you know that I'm not too good at mushy stuff, but here's my attempt.

We've known each other for about six years now. There have been ups and downs, but we've remained partners nonetheless. I remember when we were defending Espella, and you jumped into the witch's cage to save her...and I thought I'd lost you. You don't know how relieved I was to see you alive after that, Maya. That was one of the most amazing cases that we'd ever defended together.

I remember that Layton used to say something, and every time he would follow with, 'that's what a gentleman does.' Well, I'm no London gentleman, but would a polite guy from Los Angeles be okay with you?

We've been partners for six years now, and I want us to always be partners. I don't know entirely how the Kurain beliefs work, but would you be willing to break the rules just a little bit? For me?

I guess what I'm trying to say, Maya, is will you always be my partner? Always by my side? We can take on cases together!!

Maya Fey, I want to know if you'll marry me.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Let me know the next time we meet, no matter how far away that is.

Your Partner in Stopping Crime,
-Phoenix Wright."

Maya stood there, looking like she was about to cry, and still staring at the ring.

"Nick wrote that?" She asked. "He wrote that, and wanted to ask me even if he doesn't make it? He wanted me to know?"

My father just sat there, smiling. "That's a strong kind of love, Miss Fey. I hope you'll give him a good answer once he recovers."

"I...I wish I could say yes right now, though." Maya said, looking at the diamond.

"Well, might as well let other guys know you're taken, now." Franziska said. "What are you waiting for? You accepted!!! Put the ring on and surprise Wright with it when he wakes up!!!"

Taking the ring out of the box delicately, Maya slid it onto her left ring finger, still staring at it in amazement.

I decided it was best to not say anything about my conversation with my mother and Mia just yet. I couldn't ruin this moment for everyone.

We just sat there and enjoyed the moment.

This was the happiest it had been since this case started.