Chapter thirty-seven: Happily Ever After?

(A few months after)

Maya looked in the mirror, still shocked that the lady in the white dress was her. Purple flowers were braided into her raven hair, a white veil draping from her hair down to the floor. Her dress was silky, in a similar design to the Kurain kimonos, only longer, and she still had a bow tied around the waist, only it was more of a baby pink rather than a magenta.

Athena, Trucy, me, and Franziska were standing behind her in bridesmaid gowns, and trying to calm her nerves.

"What if something goes wrong?" Maya asked worriedly. "What if we don't go down the aisle at the right time, what if I forget my vows, what if-"

"What if the sky should fall?" Franziska asked. "You've nothing to worry about. This is the biggest day of your and Wright's life. It's going to be perfect."

"But what if it isn't?" Maya asked.

"But what if it is?" Athena asked Maya. "You and Mr. Wright have known each other for six years, now. When he proposed, it was like a fairytale. This is going to be the best day of your life, I promise."

"I'm just...I'm just really scared." Maya admits.

"It's normal to be nervous for something like this." I point out. "But once you see Phoenix standing there and waiting for you, all of those nerves are just going to wash away. It's going to be your dream come true." We all looked at the door. The room had gotten quiet.

"The wedding's about to start." Trucy said. "It's gonna be okay, Maya. Just remember, he loves you. If anything goes wrong, he'll make it right." We all smiled at her before filing out of the room and behind each other.

First, my father walked down, being the best man. He was shortly followed by Phoenix, who walked down and stood beside my father at the altar, waiting for Maya. The priest came next, followed by me and Apollo, Athena and Larry, and Franziska and Gumshoe. Athena, Franziska and I stood next to the place that Trucy and Maya would be standing, while Apollo, Larry and Gumshoe stood next to my father. Trucy soon came out after as the maid of honor, taking her place beside Athena. After Trucy came Pearl as the flower girl, along with Phoenix and Maya's friend from London, Luke Triton, as the ring bearer. After they had joined us at the altar, my father walked off to the side and back to the back of the church, returning with Maya and walking her down the aisle as everyone stood up. As Maya's father had left when she was so young, no one really knew who he was. And since he didn't want Maya to walk down the aisle alone, my father had volunteered to walk her down. It's times like this when he lets his serious lawyer personality drop, some of the best times.

Maya and Phoenix stood facing each other; Maya wearing a white dress with a baby pink ribbon around her waist, and Phoenix wearing a white suit, with a baby blue bow tie.

After the priest said the whole introduction thing (whatever it's called), Maya and Phoenix received the rings from Luke. Putting the rings on each other and saying their vows, they looked at each other. I'd never seen either of them more happy. They then said, "I do." And kissed. The priest said,

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you, the Mr. and Mrs. Phoenix Wright!" The congregation stood, clapping as Maya and Phoenix walked back up the aisle, hand in hand. Trucy and my father soon followed, and then Luke and Pearl, me and Apollo, Athena and Larry, and Franziska and Gumshoe.

During the reception, I saw Pearl walking into one of the changing rooms, dragging a long bridesmaid dress behind her. I turned to Trucy.

"Do you know what Pearl's doing with that?" She nodded.

"She's got a surprise for Daddy and Maya. You'll see." She answered.

Later during the reception, Maya and Phoenix had a dance, and once it was over, everyone clapped, like you'd expect. However, when everyone else was finished clapping, there was one person who had continued. We all turned to see who it was, and I finally understood what Trucy had meant when she said that Pearl had a surprise for Maya and Phoenix.

Maya's hand went over her mouth. She and Phoenix were still holding hands, and they both looked like they were going to cry.

Pearl was standing there clapping, but it wasn't Pearl. She had channeled Mia. Mia was standing there, wearing a bridesmaid's dress and looking so proud.

It was really emotional after that. Both Maya and Phoenix ran to and hugged Mia, crying because they were so happy.

I turned to Trucy, smiling. "Is that what you meant when you said that Pearl had a surprise for them?" I ask.

She nods. "Pearl channeled her a few weeks ago and we talked with her to get her dress size and such so that she could see her little sister on her special day."

The wedding lasted a while, but all good things have to come to an end.

After all of the reception guests left, we assisted with the cleanup, before my father and I got in the car and we headed home.

As I got ready for bed that night, I thought back to the case a few months back. The wedding had been the first time we had seen Franziska since winning the case. It was good to see her out of the detention center. Finally, we could stop worrying about someone out to get us. Vasquez was locked up, and Von Karma was probably going to the slammer soon, too.

Yes, we all thought that everything would be back to normal...

But that was before the nightmares began.