Chapter ten: Two Can Play this Game.

Franziska and I were talking to Phoenix and Maya once again in the waiting lobby.

"I have to admit, Wright." Franziska began. "You weren't half bad in there."

"Thanks." Phoenix said, serious. "But we can't celebrate just yet. If there's anything that we can get out of today's trial it's that the gun was fired three times."

"Wait, today's trial?" Asked Maya. "You mean you think that the trial may take longer than one day?"

"We're going up against Manfred Von Karma, Maya. I know that the trial's gonna take more than one day."

"We know the ways of my father somewhat." Franziska said. "You know that during this recess he's going to be looking for Piper to mess with her testimony."

"Hence why we can't let her out of our sight while this recess is on." Phoenix said.

"You say that as if I'm a little kid." I say, to which Franziska responds,

"My father has manipulated grown men and women to leave vital information out of their testimonies, Piper. He could make you snap with just the right threat." She was serious. "If he somehow makes his way to you, it could be a threat to both of our lives."

"Your lives?" Maya asked. "I thought that if you got the guilty verdict, you just spend a lifetime in prison. You don't die."

"Don't you remember, Miss Fey, how that woman reacted knowing that Piper was a witness? Well, so was I. It doesn't matter if I'm sent to prison. She'll come back for me. And there will be no whip to protect me this time." She looked dead serious. "And no one to save Piper and Miles should this happen again."

"You don't have to worry about that, Franziska. It won't happen." Phoenix said confidently.

"If my father were awake, it would be really beneficial to the case." I say.

"Not so fast, Piper." Franziska said. "Your father was unconscious when I came. He could very well believe that I did it."

I shake my head. "Nuh-uh." Franziska, Phoenix, and Maya look confused.

"How can you be so sure?" Maya asked.

"Simple." I say. "My father was still awake when Franziska saved me."

"He what?!" Franziska asked.

"Yeah." I say. "But I can't say any more before my testimony if I don't want to get in trouble."

Phoenix sighed, but nodded. "Right." He said. "If you get in trouble with the court, you can't testify, and that could really hurt our case." He said.

From then, we pretty much waited around and talked for a bit before we were called back into the courtroom.

Once everyone was situated, the judge banged his gavel once again for order.

*bang*

"The trial of Franziska Von Karma will come to order once more." He looked at Von Karma, then at Phoenix. "The evidence tested has shown that there were, in fact, three bullets shot from the gun that day. Mr. Von Karma, your first witness."

*bang bang*

Even though it was uncalled for, Von Karma gave some sort of an opening statement once more.

"Today, I will prove that regardless of  some evidence, a defendant can still be proven guilty." He muttered, before clearing his throat and announcing, "Miss Edgeworth will come to the stand to testify."

That's it? No 'The Prosecution wishes to call Miss Edgeworth to the stand'? What is up with this guy? I feel bad for the judge, he's never able to do his job when Von Karma's around.