Chapter fifteen: Keep Talking and No One Dies

We set off for Oldbag's security office, hoping that she was still there. I have to admit, though, the chances of her being there were pretty slim. They'd finished shooting the show for the day; everyone was going home.

Standing at the security gate, we started to duck under to get inside, as well as look into the security office to see if Oldbag was there. But as soon as I ducked down to crawl under the gate, a sound that sounded like a mix of a pterodactyl and a sick cockatoo screeched from the speaker close to the gate. It caught me by so much surprise that I lost my balance and rolled onto my side, causing me to almost face plant into the ground. As Maya helped me up, an Old Lady's voice screeched from the speaker.

"YOUNG LADY, YOU LOOK LIKE YOU COULD BE IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING SNEAKING ON SET OF A CHILDREN'S SHOW?!!! I SWEAR, TEENAGERS THESE DAYS HAVE NO RESPECT FOR PRIVATE PROPERTY!!! JUST THE OTHER DAY, I CAME HOME TO SEE GRAFFITI ALL OVER..." blah blah blah. Looks like Oldbag is here, after all. And she's in a chatty mood. Lovely.

Maya and I turned around to face the security camera. Hoping that this was where Oldbag was seeing us so that I wouldn't look like an idiot, I screamed above her yells,

"MISS OLDBAG WE NEED TO SPEAK TO YOU ABOUT A CAAAAAAAAASE!!!!" The screeching went silent, and my ears were ringing from how loud she had been yelling at us seconds before.

"Who are you, little miss?!" She snapped. "How do you know my name?" It seemed she suddenly realized that Maya was also with me, because she said not two seconds after her question, "YOU!!! You're that spirit-channeling whippersnapper that's always hanging around that spikey-haired lawyer!!! What are you doing here?!"

"Miss Oldbag, my name is Piper Edg-" she cut me off once again.

"I don't care what your name is, whippersnapper! What's your business here? What's this about a 'case' that you need to talk to me about?"

"Well, if you'd let me speak, I can tell-"

"I wasn't done talking!! Teenagers, so rude these days. You know, when I was your age, I respected my elders. All of this social media ruining lives. Maybe if you put your cell phones down for two seconds, you'd realize some people trying to talk to you..." Okay, I've had about enough of this lady.

"MISS OLDBAG I REALLY NEED YOU TO STOP TALKING RIGHT NOW BECAUSE MY FATHER'S IN DANGER!!!" I yelled over her. Again, the speaker went silent.

"And why do you need my help, little Miss?" She asked snootily. Talk about rude. Unsympathetic much? "Who even are you?"

"I tried to tell you earlier." I sighed, annoyed. "My name is Piper Edgeworth. I'm the daughter of prosecutor Miles Edgeworth."

More silence, until...

"EDGIE'S IN DANGER?!!!" More screeches. "WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO IN THE FIRST PLACE?!!" Again, I tried to. But someone wouldn't let me get two words out. Also, I just want to enjoy the fact that, despite how many times my father's rejected her, she still calls him "Edgie".

The gate slowly opened, as Oldbag screeched at us to meet her in her office and allowed us in.

Once in her office, she sat us down, and stared at us as if we had just killed a puppy.

"Now," She said, as if she were interrogating us. "Tell me every. Last. Detail. What happened to your father? How is he in danger? And how can I help? Start talking."

So now, we had her attention. Great. If we kept giving her details, she would give us the information we needed, and we would win the case, meaning that me, my father, and Franziska would be safe. We had to keep talking so that no one died.

We started with the attack, and then moved on to the trial, what Gumshoe said, what Von Karma was trying to do, how my father was, what he told us, and finally, what we thought the four words could mean.

Oldbag tapped her chin, thinking. "Yes, He could have been talking about the Turnabout Samurai case from 2016. It would make sense why he would mention my name, as I was a part of that case. As for the words 'direct' and 'revenge', I have absolutely no idea what they could mean. Maybe he was saying that this case has a direct tie to the Turnabout Samurai case and that someone from that case wants revenge against him. But...I can't think of any reason anyone would have to attack him." Maya looked at me and mouthed, brown eyes.

"Stop it!" I whisper-snapped at her. "It wasn't her!!!" Maya huffed and faced Oldbag again, as she had begun to go on another one of her rants about how when she was little, there was less crime because everyone knew everyone else and the culprit would surely be caught and blah blah blah...

I turned back to Maya and whispered, "Do you think maybe Grossberg would know something?"

"Marvin Grossberg?" She asked, raising her voice a bit so that I could hear her over Oldbag's yapping. "Possibly." She said. "He did know quite a bit about the DL-6 incident when we needed it. Plus, he's been a defense attorney for quite some time. He's probably decoded strange messages before. I say we pay him a visit before we fall asleep to Oldbag's stories."

I nod and say, "OKAY, Miss Oldbag! You've given us all the information that we need, thank you!!!" And we ran out of there before she could tell us another story about her in her "youthful days".

Grossberg Offices, here we come!!!