Hermione gets Petrified

Hermione was still in the hospital after our last adventure and since then, her tragic but gradual recovery was happening. Now all that she had left to transform was the tail but I had to reiterate to her that there was no rush and that she could trust us three with the detective work until she returned. Although I was worried about her as I would be with any friend, Ron seemed to  be the most affected missing the knowledge and presence of the bookworm. I often found myself going to her and studying alongside her, giving her the necessary homework and catch-up notes as assigned by all the teachers and from what I could tell, she appreciated the company. I could feel her warming up to me and my odd way of focusing in which I would stare at the book as if I "hated it with a passion". Must have all been in the eyes. Regarding my training, I had been putting even more effort into each session knowing that the hard work and dedication was finally paying off and that hopefully my body was only a few weeks if not months away from excepting more of the power deep inside. Professor Kuno had also warmed up to me since our chat and would often remark to me times of when she was young in Korea training with her own master in private. She never went to a magic school but instead was taught everything by a school janitor...reminded me of Karate Kid if you wanted an example. 

That brings me to the present moment, I had just completed my after school session with McGonagall when Harry and Ron came rushing in with the former clutching a black diary in his hands. The binding showed signs of age and the pages had yellowed but the overall condition was surprisingly good considering they had found it in the girl's bathroom wet. The only issue had been that it was entirely blank. Inside was nothing. Just the pages and the cover. Weird I know but it just seemed too old to be empty. And knowing the magic world, the book must've been something once upon a time, even if it was blank. Harry was dedicated to finding out more about it and decided he would spend the night with it doing whatever he could to figure out just what it was about. 

The next morning came and with it, dawn brought and excited yet tired Harry. From what he had said, the book belonged to a young boy named Tom Riddle. Not only had the owner been found but the seemingly blank pages had a spell cast on them that allowed a valid reader to see the past of the owner. That wasn't the hardest part to believe though. That was held by the idea that Hagrid had once opened the chamber and despite protests from both the newly recovered Hermione, Ron and myself, Harry was certain that the image he saw was like a movie and realistic. Then the idea came about asking him what he knew.

"Oh that'd be a nice conversation," the ginger sarcastically exclaimed. "Hi Hagrid, have you recently released anything big and hairy in the castle?"

"Ya wouldn't 'appen to be talking about me would ya?" the half-giant asked now suddenly behind us.

"No...what's that you've got there?" Harry asked quickly changing the subject and not letting the thought dwell. 

"Flesh eating slug repellent. For the mandrakes ya know. According to Madam Pomfrey, they still got a bit of growing to do but once their acne has cleared up, they should be good for un-petrifying everyone."

"Y/N! Harry! I dunno who did it but you better come," Neville exclaimed running upto us.

As the boy had said, something had gone down in the boy's dorm. The floor was scattered with the glass remains of a shattered lantern, Harry's bed had been overturned and the pillows, sheets and curtains were torn and spread out everywhere. This was no quick job...nor was it something a Gryffindor would be known to do. But then again...no-one BUT a Gryffindor could get into here.

"It's gone," Harry said breaking me from my chain of thought. "The diary...Tom Riddle's diary is gone." 

Then it was true. My worst fears had come true. That diary held more value than any of us could have imagined. Obviously somebody else knew about it and my first guess would be whoever Tom Riddle himself or this heir everyone was fixated on. 

Time Skip

No new discoveries had been made since the book had disappeared and although we had searched thoroughly, nothing came up. This had meant that it took a back seat in our minds an our normal school lives once again took over. For instance, Harry had a match today against Hufflepuff and in the build up to it, Ron and I had been searching for Hermione of whom we had not spotted all morning. This was odd as she usually wasn't too far from the library when she wasn't with us. However, the thought didn't worry me as she was far more capable than any of us and if there was one person who could survive in the wizarding world by themselves, it was Miss.Granger. 

I wasn't worried for the most part, that was until the match had been called off and a rather sad looking McGonagall and a confused Harry. 

"Professor? Why was the match cancelled? Has something happened?" I asked.

"Now is not the time for explanations Mr.L/N. All I ask of you and Mr.Weasley is to follow me to the infirmary where I have something to show you," she managed to say without showing any emotion in her eyes. This changed however when we entered the medical bay, her obvious sympathy showing through already before any of us had any time to comprehend what was happening. There she lay...still as can be. Her arm was outstretched and her other forming a slight fist. Hermione was perfectly still as to be expected when petrified but still the sight of her body in this state was both horrifying and saddening. 

Taking her hand into mine, there was no warmth anymore but only a coldness that soon spread onto mine. I had to understand that there was blood still flowing inside and that she would be back to normal as soon as you could say mandrake. But there was nothing I could do. I was utterly useless once again. IF i even attempted to ignite the flames from my hands, I would probably burn her instead of warm her. There was no telling what I could do. And so I let go. We returned to the common room with McGonagall who seemed to now have her own agenda and plans as she unraveled a scroll with a few points on it. 

"Due to recent events we have some new rules that must be followed for a while. ALL students must return to the common room by 6 pm and students will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher and there must be NO exceptions. Unless the culprit is caught, it is likely the school will sht down."

"We need to speak to Hagrid. All of us," Harry remarked turning to both myself and Ron. 

"Look as much as I want to help...I'm useless to you. I'm going to Professor Kuno to find out what I can about the recent events and how I can help. I'll be back later tonight so find out what you can from Hagrid and then we formulate a plan accordingly. Ok?"

"Ok."