Two Boys, a Diary and a Big-Ass Snake

"Let's match the power of the Heir of Slytherin against the famous Harry Potter and his uninteresting friend. There's no use running now Potter! It only obeys me."

"HARRY! RUN!" I yell at the top of my lungs as the basilisk's scales became visible behind the slowly descending mouthpiece. Snapping my forearms outwards, they once again set alight upon command and using them to cover my eyes, the flames shielded my field of view making sure that I wouldn't be able to see the creature if  I tried. But this made me an easy target. How could you beat something you couldn't look at?! Harry tripped a few feet from me as if it were a predictable movie, his glasses jumping of and landing in front of him. The sqwark once again reared from the tunnels as the phoenix swooped down in one swift motion, piercing the basilisk in it's softest, most supple region, the eyes. Picking Harry up, the chance of winning now became that much greater but still it was heavily in favor of the giant snake. 

"Harry, run through the right tunnel. I can fend it off with my flames for as long as possible but until we come together again, you need to come up with a plan!" I say pushing him in the direction of the tube. 

"It may be blind but it can still hear you!" Tom yelled from behind it.

"That's exactly what I want!" I replied clapping my flames together forming small puffs of fire and bangs. "Come here snakey come on!"

It's head snapped toward my direction, it's senses blind to the now fleeing Harry. Following my advice to him, I pelted toward the left tunnel jumping into it just as the crash behind me reminded me of the snake's gigantic lunge. The tunnel was tighter and more oval than I had hoped, the floor wet with water and easily slippery enough for it to be advantageous to the snake. Taking the first left, I came face to face with a grill that seemed permanently fixed to the floor and walls. I was trapped. The snake hissed from behind me, it's eyes now bleeding down the side of it's head, it's nose heavily flared. As Tom had warned, it didn't need it's eyes to hunt for prey. It could easily hear whatever it chose to hunt but...wait it used it's hearing  to hunt! My eyes darted to the floor in desperate search of anything I could quickly grab. Alas there was a few stones the size of snitch. I had no choice now, it would be a matter of seconds before the basilisk would find me so clutching the stone as tightly as possible in my clenched hand, I threw it in the other direction of the tunnel. The stone broke upon impact letting out a loud enough crack to divert the snake's attention. Using this opportunity, I ran out of the tunnel and into the much larger and daunting main area. A look to Ginny revealed that Harry was also still alive, his eyes still fixated on the pale body on the floor. 

The water burst up with a raging furiosity, the basilisk obviously losing it's mind and not having anything to munch on yet. Now at Harry's side, his eyes dived to the hat in which something had begun to glisten. 

"Harry...I'm going to hold it off," I instructed him now seeing the fully conjured sword in the hat. "Take that blade and get ready for a battle. Do whatever you can do get an advantage, get as high as possible and be ready to stab it wherever possible."

Fists still alight, I drew in a deep breath through my nose, I stared into the face of the beast. This was going to have to be just like training. The enemy had the advantage, it was larger and had the height. Juni would want me to keep as low as possible, swing once an opening became visible and bring it down to my level. Then, once this was done, I would have to use all my power to send it back up where Harry would hopefully be waiting.

Plan set and ready to go, I changed my stance, left leg forward and on it's toes, right foot back and all weight placed on it. The snake's head reared forward, my body moving more by instinct than calculation forward and in the direction of it's body. I slammed my right hand into it's midriff, the snake's body arching back up and into the rock causing the now climbing Harry to slide and nearly fall off the monument. Jumping backwards, the snake narrowly missed me once again but unlike Professor Kuno, it's move didn't stop there. One of it's teeth pierced into my left arm rendering it useless in this battle and completely changing my outlook on how I would have to fight. 

"Y/N! I'm ready when you are!" Harry called, now standing firmly above Slytherin's head. Yanking the tooth out of the basilisk and pushing it forward, I shifted my left leg behind my right using the momentum of the body to drive my right arm in an uppercut style fashion. The build up caused the fire to diminish from my left arm and instead shift to my right causing a devistating impact once the connection occured between my fist and the head of the snake sending myself flying onto my back and scrapping along the floor whilst the monster's skull was driven upward and toward the prepared Harry. Screaming with all his might, he drove the sword in a similar fashion as my punch, the tip piercing easily through the top of the basilisk's mouth and up through it's head causing the monster in turn to let out a final deathly screech. The snake shook it's head as if in disbelief of losing before collapsing onto the cold concrete and laying there on it's death bed. 

I put a hand onto the wet concrete, mustering all the the strength in my body for the second time this year, and stood up. Clutching my left arm with my worn out right arm, I knew to keep the tooth stuck in the wound in order to prevent bleeding and even more damage.

"Oh dear Potter. It seems that your friend has been bitten by the basilisk. The poison of the bite is enough to kill an elephant let alone a human, he doesn't have much time. Funny what the damage of a book can do...especially in the hands of a silly little girl."

"If I'm going to die, I'll at least make sure I can finish the job I started and end it with you," I say taking the book from Ginny's grasp and giving it to Harry. My right hand held firmly onto the tooth, gripping it until my knuckles turned white and then yanked it out. The pain made me scream out into the air, the heat soaring from the wound and into it's surroundings but I knew I had to do it. The book must be destroyed. "Harry, I lack the strength to stab it. You have to do this. Destroy the book," I say shakily passing over the sharp bone. 

Harry took it from me with regret already forming in his eyes. His view turned to the book and then into one of hatred as he looked up to Tom, hand raised and ready to come down onto the book. He stabbed multiple times, both inside and through the cover causing the boy who lived within it to glisten and gleam in a golden light, his body fading away into a million tiny sparks all over the chamber. Once his body had been fully destroyed, Ginny awoke from her deep slumber, eyes wide and mind most likely ticking like a bomb.

"Tom made me do it," she whimpered, fear now subsiding that Mr.Riddle was no more. "Y/N, you're hurt."

"Look you both need to get out of her," I said realising that I had no chance of making it all the way back. "Harry, you fought bravely today and I'm proud to have ended this with you. Get Lockhart, get Ron and get out of here. They should have cleared the path by now."

"I can't leave. There must be some way," Harry said looking at my flesh wound. "If we ran back fast enough then maybe Madam Pom-"

"You know I can't make it. It'd be pointless."

Fawkes once again interrupted our actions, it's red body gliding through the arm before coming to a gentle landing next to us and pitter pattering over. A closer inspection now revealed just how wrong Tom was about this "songbird." Without it, both Ginny, Harry and myself would be dead and that would mean the return of Voldemort. "You really saved the day buddy," I said opening my fist and letting it nuzzle my palm. Much like Ginny had, the bird looked toward my wound before coming closer to inspect it. It's eye began to tear up, the liquid forming on it's lower lid before slowly sliding off and dropping from it's beak onto the wound in multiple droplets. The pain began to subside, my skin feeling as if it was being sizzled back together piece by piece until it was once again all complete. 

"Of course! Phoenix's tears have healing powers," Harry remembered noticing that my bleeding had stopped entirely. "Ginny, it's alright. It's all over."

And so we all managed to survive. The trip back was more amazing than the trip down and my right wrist had been mended that night with Madam Pomfrey's assistance. Naturally we spent the night as normal but we were asked to talk with Dumbledore in the morning in order to clarify the situation as Harry had put it.