III - The team

Songkarn went to work on Monday with a mind full of excitement and nervousness for meeting his new boss. Whom, like Henry, said he had to learn to like. First, he would have really like to meet him, but it seemed like that wasn't on the plans for his first day.

Songkarn stepped out of the HR department where he got his access key-cards. He got a company's app installed into his tablet which helps with rules and regulations and would basically tell him what he needs to know in order to survive in this office. As much as he knew, it was for the company's security. Though who would invest in making an app just for one company, not to talk about the security app which seemed incredibly complex and difficult work. Was this company made of money? Or were they into something a lot more dangerous than he had all these years figured they were?

He jokingly questioned, "Do I need to take the app with me if I want to use the toilet?"

The IT guy who had just installed the app for him in his tablet and made all the necessary configurations looked up and stared at him with a really odd expression.

Maybe he really did have to it on bathroom breaks as well. Was this overly severe surveillance necessary?

Soon he was handed the key card, identification and other details by HR, IT and Security departments. He had complete access to anything in his office. However, he had an extra advantage over the others. If he needed to meet the boss, he could directly ride the boss' elevator to his office instead of going through the normal protocol. It seemed very few had this advantage.

Songkarn strolled and stared around his office. He had no idea that the benefits were going to be this good. From what he read in the contract, there was going to be a separate office for him but it didn't mention that the office is going to be enormous and well furnished. It even had comfortable seats surrounding a huge table for meetings. He was moving towards the window to see the view when a door opened behind him. His freshly hired secretary stepped in. She looked like a lady who had beautiful features but they did not compliment her because first, she needed to lose that stern expression of hers.

"Hello, Mr. Kanthachai. I am your secretary Neen Suwanamas. I will be in charge of the administration and coordination of your team whose personal information and credentials are in this folder. I was ordered to follow your instructions and preferences in selecting any additional team members that you might need. You can choose anyone from the design department. Here is the entire list of names and credentials for the whole department. You can call in members that you see fit for a particular role and conduct interviews if you want." She placed two folders on the table and waited patiently for Songkarn to say something.

Though overwhelmed at first, he really was quite competent in his work so Songkarn pulled himself together quickly and stepped forward.

"Hello Neen, it's a real pleasure to meet you. You can call me Songkarn and you may only use the full title when necessary. In the usual workspace, I see no necessity for it. I will look through these papers but before that, I'd like to get a grasp of how things generally work in the office and to familiarize myself with my schedule. So let's have a meeting at around 10 am. Ask the team to gather in my office. In the meeting, we will look into what needs to be done, a suitable approach, set targets for the long term and short term and put together some mechanism to follow through with the progress. I want any bright ideas and proposals the team members may have on the table ready to discuss at the meeting."

Neen quickly noted everything in her tablet. Songkarn was really pleased to see this. Most secretaries he'd seen still used notepads and pencils but Neen had a tablet and a stylus for that. It seemed a lot more comfortable and logical in today's world.